Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Share your pretty lights for all to see......

Blog Entries

Share your pretty lights for all to see......

Christmas lights that is. How do you decorate for the holiday? Do you put up a tree? I'm from Florida and this is my tree. I decorate with Blue, Silver and White. With pops of color in the Florida ish' ornaments. (Seahorse, shells, turtle)

I would love to see your tree or what not and what State your from. It's interesting how different climates may influence how we decorate.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    We don't have our tree up yet, so I can't post a picture. We are usually very last-minute with our tree (a huge artificial tree we bought over 20 years ago) but then leave it up into March. My husband loads up the tree with I-don't-know-how-many-strings-of-lights and it cheers us up through the long dark winter nights in Wisconsin. Most people think we are nuts to do this, but it's ***our*** family tradition.........

I remember the first time my husband and I put up a tree. It was a natural one and, with our usual procrastination, we waited until Christmas Eve to actually put it up. Then discovered we had no stand for it! So dh rigged up thin ropes to the wall to keep it upright and we decorated as usual. What we didn't count on was the cat. He ran up the tree and brought it down on our heads! We just propped it up against the wall after that. And for years I had at least two or three tree stands on hand in the garage!

We don't put a tree up until after the 18th of December because we didn't want to combine Christmas with our granddaughters God given day. She is a grown woman now and mother of two great guys and the tradition still goes. No tree till after the birthday.

Blog Entries
    What funny story. Thanks for telling it. We are early birds with ours. Tree up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down after New Years. We were even earlier this year, because out toddler grandson was here visiting the first couple of weeks of November. We knew we wouldn't be able to spend Christmas with him on Christmas. So we shared the little things. Like the tree, outside lights and making cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    We don't have our tree up yet, so I can't post a picture. We are usually very last-minute with our tree (a huge artificial tree we bought over 20 years ago) but then leave it up into March. My husband loads up the tree with I-don't-know-how-many-strings-of-lights and it cheers us up through the long dark winter nights in Wisconsin. Most people think we are nuts to do this, but it's ***our*** family tradition.........

I remember the first time my husband and I put up a tree. It was a natural one and, with our usual procrastination, we waited until Christmas Eve to actually put it up. Then discovered we had no stand for it! So dh rigged up thin ropes to the wall to keep it upright and we decorated as usual. What we didn't count on was the cat. He ran up the tree and brought it down on our heads! We just propped it up against the wall after that. And for years I had at least two or three tree stands on hand in the garage!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    We don't put a tree up until after the 18th of December because we didn't want to combine Christmas with our granddaughters God given day. She is a grown woman now and mother of two great guys and the tradition still goes. No tree till after the birthday.
    That is very sweet to preserve her special day.

Blog Entries
    I live on Long Island NY. My dh is jewish so we have a white tree with aqua beachy themed ornaments, some of them are silver and white, but mainly aqua. No camera/no pics. sorry
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I added small Christmas lights to my sewing machine cover...do these count?
    sandy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I live on Long Island NY. My dh is jewish so we have a white tree with aqua beachy themed ornaments, some of them are silver and white, but mainly aqua. No camera/no pics. sorry
    Sounds pretty Lynnie. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds!

I am the one who decorates the house outside and inside and the tree. I only have a few things out this year and gave my tree to my daughter. This is different this year because we are going to be gone. I really miss my lights. Well, after Christmas I will be able to go straight back to sewing and not so much to put away.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

We have birthday issues too. Our daughter was born on Christmas Day. After she was born, we started having our Christmas on Christmas Eve and DD shared her birthday with Baby Jesus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    sandy
    You bet it does Sandygirl. How festive! I love your sewing machine cover.

Quote Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
    We have birthday issues too. Our daughter was born on Christmas Day. After she was born, we started having our Christmas on Christmas Eve and DD shared her birthday with Baby Jesus.
    I love it!

We don't decorate for Christmas, but then we don't have any children, just DH and myself. I love the decorations and all, I just don't really have the room or energy for doing it myself. And since our anniversary is Nov. 23, DH's birthday is Dec. 10, and mine is the 19th, we just celebrate Christmas day as Jesus's birth. We usually get what we want thru the year, so we can't think of anything at this time of the year anyway.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

We haven't decorated for several years with the exception of last year. The kids are grown and gone - live across the country - and even the grandkids are grown with homes of their own. So we usually travel at Christmas time. No point in decorating. I do sometimes miss it. Last year we stayed home and hauled the tree (artificial) out of the rafters and discovered that it had fallen apart - so got a new tree. Had to decorate! Just to do justice to the new tree. Probably should have gotten a smaller one as the new one weighs 75 pounds and takes three men and a small boy to lift.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    sandy
    Oh yes, especially when the cover is such a darling "clam-per"!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Each year I swear will be the last one, but then it looks so lovely and first kids, then grand kids, and now great grands come to nani's and ohh and ahh over everything......village, revolving tree, train going around......and of course, Mary, Joe and the Baby! Outside all lit up, now to work on inside!

Blog Entries
    Geri, sounds pretty. Maybe you can post pictures when you are done.

sandy
    That has got to be the cutest machine cover I've ever seen! Was there a pattern, or are you just so creative!??

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    About 7 years ago we had worn out our little 30" pre-lit tree. So as I'm getting ready to set it on the curb, a woman pulls up and her little boy asks if we're throwing out the tree. DH was right behind me with a card table and box of some old Christmas ornaments. I said yes and did they want it. They did. DH had put some batteries, unbeknownst to me, into the box. Couple days later, we got a Christmas card with a note inside describing how we made a difference in their Christmas. We have a 6" tree in the curio cabinet with a nativity set of lead glass. That sets there all the time. So we're pretty much always "up" for Christmas. Dh's favorite thing to do now is to find pre-lit trees (dollar stores) and he'll stick a few dollars in the box and give to homeless on corners and his co-workers. He only asks that they pay it forward.

Until a couple of years ago our only decorations was some outside lights. Now my Husband doesn't want to go to the trouble. Daughter and Son-in-law decorated for the youngest, other five Grands were older. We look at other people's decorations.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

When I along with my younger brothers and sisters were little Santa brought the Christmas tree. I decorate the house but I don't do my tree until Christmas eve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neece View Post
    When I along with my younger brothers and sisters were little Santa brought the Christmas tree. I decorate the house but I don't do my tree until Christmas eve.
    My husband's parents did that! They put the kids to bed early Christmas Eve, then spent the night putting up the tree and decorating it and putting all the presents under the tree. When I hear about that, I think only about how exhausted they must have been Christmas day!

I have been collecting ornaments for 45 years and I have a lot of santas we used to have a 9.5 tree but the last 2 years we have not been able to set it up so we gave it to our daughter and family. I went to 3 smaller trees because every ornament is special and for it to be Christmas they all have to be out. I can get a pic to upload sorry.
    Juliebelle

Blog Entries
    Way back when .....we lived in an older house in town with maybe 2 small closets. No room for storing gifts.Mom made candy & cookies in December,but the huge tree was set up & decorated Christmas eve. The living room was closed off with sliding doors.Parents went to Grandparents when 4 kids were in bed asleep.Then all was put around the tree,while Dad put together bikes,wagons & doll houses.
    On The morn when they slid the doors open,the tree was wonderful! All lit up with our angel on top & the pine tree smell,the songs on the record player. Pretty bowls of ribbon candy,fruit & nuts with the nut cracker ready to go.We didn't have a lot of money,but they made our Christmas magical. Wonderful memories !
    Pat

Our family celebrates on New Year's Eve, so I don't decorate for Christmas. But this year we are hosting our Sunday School Class Christmas party. So I feel I need to decorate. However, I think I need to take DOWN the Christmas decorations before the 10 grandkids arrive for New Year's, just so I have enough room for the additional 16 people coming for several days over the New Year.

[QUOTE=Prism99;6992200]My husband's parents did that! They put the kids to bed early Christmas Eve, then spent the night putting up the tree and decorating it and putting all the presents under the tree. When I hear about that, I think only about how exhausted they must have been Christmas day![/QUOTE
    I must laugh as I recall my hubby's aunt. She would not allow the tree up until Xmas eve, but ALWAYS took it down first thing XMAS DAY! We never understood why she even bothered...it was all put away before breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast