Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shelf Liner Problem

Shelf Liner Problem

http://www.lowes.com/pd_6847-14510-1...tt=shelf+liner

I just put some of the above shelf liner in my kitchen drawers and find that it doesn't lay flat when I add things to the drawer. Do you think spraying some basting spray to the bottom of the liner would make it stick without damaging the liner or the drawer?

Blog Entries
    I would call Lowe's and see what they have to say!

I bought some of that to line my new shelves also. Took it all back and bought a more flexible liner. The one shelf I have it on still has not relaxed enough to lay flat.
    Retired USN Senior Chief

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Cut what you need then roll in the opposite direction. We just relined our shelves with this in the kitchen. It will lay flat in no time.

It lays flat until I put something into the drawer... then it bunches up like a rug that's not laying flat. The items in the drawer are pushing it around. I wondered if the basting spray would prevent that from happening.

I have the same problem! If you try the basting spray let us know if it works!!!

How about using a double sided sticky tape? It should work. Good luck����
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma View Post
    How about using a double sided sticky tape? It should work. Good luck����
    Yes, I thought of that, but the liner is washable. I wanted to be able to remove it without damage so it could be washed and replaced in the drawers.

My contractor had a spare shelf to experiment with. The basting spray doesn't seem strong enough to hold down the liner.

Have you tried push pins?

Put the items in a drawer tray, the liner won't be bunched at all. I love the metal mesh trays. They look so nice in the drawers.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I had the same problem, tried spray basting, that didn't work for me either. So I have those white hard plastic Rubbermaid silverware trays in the drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Put the items in a drawer tray, the liner won't be bunched at all. I love the metal mesh trays. They look so nice in the drawers.
    I'm putting my pots and pans in these drawers. I wanted the liner to protect the bottom of the drawer from damage.

It is made to keep things from moving around in drawers or shelves. You need to place items on it, not push them in any way. Not sure I am saying this correctly or not. Such as, on a shelf for glasses. you have to place each glass on the material, not slide it into place.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Can you use the rubber shelf liner? I buy it at the dollar stores and it always lies flat. Cheap enough to throw away when I want to, but generally, lasts a long time. I have also used rolls of wall paper that I find at the paint stores and fasten it down with strong, clear tape, like Gorilla Tape or wide Scotch tape.

This is the rubber shelf liner. It lies perfectly flat when I put it in, but once items are put in the drawer, they scrunch the liner up. I think I'll try double-faced tape.

I have this in my whole kitchen and don't have any problems with it.

Blog Entries
    Why not use a pretty fabric and spray bast it in place! I just might do this myself! Thanks
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I would use Elmer's spray adhesive, not basting spray. I don't think basting spray is made for non- porous, hard surfaces & spray adhesive is less expensive.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My cookware cabinets have a vinyl covered thin wire grid type laying over the bottom of them. It lifts out so a liner or paper can be put under it. I don't know if it was added as extra or came with the cabinets. I wish it was in all my kitchen cabinets. You may find baking cooling racks will work to put on top of the liner and the cookware won't be sitting on it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Folks, here is what I use for shelf and drawer liner. I go to the discount bin for a heavily discounted roll of orphan pre-pasted wall paper - in vinyl! Follow the instructions for hanging on the walls but cut to size first and then cover the shelf or drawer. I've always found it sticks well and when I do want to replace or remove it, just grab a corner and pull it out.
    Novie
    Working my way through life, one block at a time.

Problem Solved

I found a solution that my contractor suggested that seems to be working. I put the double-sided foam tape in about 1/2-inch squares around the edges of the liner. The liners are staying in place now when I add things to the drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images