Shinnicock Pow Wow

Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
this is a long Island joke so most people won't get it............lynnie were you there for the cigarettes??????
Cigarettes or the gas? When we were in Northern AZ this past weekend we drove an extra 15 miles to get gas 15 cents less per gallon...... and yes, when I was a smoker I use to travel to save bucks on the smokes :-D

On our way back from there we have to drive through the Reservation and we always stop at at least one of the roadside jewelry spots. Great work, great prices, also straight from the manufacturer. We also stop at the 'trading post' in Cameron. There is one section that has a large loom set up with a blanket or rug being worked on. Just beautiful, but I really should have invested in one when we first went through. This year the prices were through the roof---- $2000.00 up for a regular sized piece. I'm sure that the pieces are worth every penny because of the work, was just surprised at the price hike.

One day I WILL make it to a Pow-Wow. Beautiful work.

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Wow, those are awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM

I lived across a dirt road from a reservation in NM and were surrounded by several others. There were annual Pow wows around us frequently. We never felt like we were completely welcome. We have a huge Pow Wow in Denver with the beautiful music and regalia. There again we don't feel completely welcome. My DH and I both have Native American ancestry so we are fascinated by Native American culture. We still go to the Pow Wows but it would be nice if we were made to feel more welcome.