Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Shipping costs and customs matters >
  • Shipping costs and customs matters

• Shipping costs and customs matters

Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 AM

I sent a baby gift quilt to Scotland last year. I had no idea that the recipient had to pay charges too. I don't know what they paid but I read about charges on this board. I felt very bad that they had to pay for a gift. My solution is that I am making an 'I SPY" quilt and will send it as a gift. I have to find out the best way to send the package so there will not be charges on the other end.
    Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    But the important thing is I don't have the money for the shipping. That really makes me sad. <sigh>
    That makes me sad, too. Unfortunately shipping isn't something you'll want to skimp on, either. :(

Janet
    Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 AM

I am sorry to hear that the postal service is standing in your way, and that of others. It is a shame that it cost so much to ship things. I have friends in Germany and we decided NOT to send gifts any longer because of the cost of postage. It is unreal. There are so many things I would like to share with them, but it is unreasonable to pay those prices. Most times the postage is more than what I want to send them. I hate not being able to send them little things to let them know I am thinking of them.
    Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 AM

I think that is so sad. I wish it was easier for you, you do such lovely work. Maybe someone will come up with an answer for you.
    Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 AM
    Power Poster

having to pay for a gift is sad but i've sent things and only put the cost as $5.00 or so. that seemed to work so there were no charges on their end.
    Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Originally Posted by MTS
    Will you be entereing any of your work in the big show in Ireland next year?
    No, I think not. All the exhibitions there seem to be under a specific theme and I found nothing that fits to my wholecloths...but I will check again.
    Oooh, I so agree with you! I live only one and a half hour's drive from where the Festival in Galway will be, and I have nothing I could enter! There are no categories for bed quilts from quilters in Ireland! (there are for those from the UK). We are restricted to quilts about 40 in square, and I just don't make that size. Very sad.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Andrea, does that mean your green quilt will not be at Pacific International in Santa Clara? Please....don't tell me that!!!
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
    Andrea, does that mean your green quilt will not be at Pacific International in Santa Clara? Please....don't tell me that!!!
    It will be in Santa Clara!

:)

The quilt is a part of the world quilt show which started in August in NH and will be shown next weekend in PA. Afther that all the quilt travel to CA!

I plan to enter at the Mancuso World Quilt Show again, this is very easy for us here in Europe. Germany has a coordinator and she manages all the shipping and customs affairs. It's wonderful!