Shipping machines

Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 AM

Default Shipping machines

I am planning to give my Brother VQ3000 to my granddaughter since I no longer quilt (vision problems). I will need to ship it to NC. I live in TX. I do not have the original box. Any suggestions or recommendations how to go about it? Has anyone shipped a machine that distance?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:57 AM

My suggestion would be to take it to a shipping store, they will pack and ship ..there will be a fee..However well worth the cost and also be sure to insure you shipment with a return receipt for delivery. Lucky granddaughter for your kindness
Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
My suggestion would be to take it to a shipping store, they will pack and ship ..there will be a fee..However well worth the cost and also be sure to insure you shipment with a return receipt for delivery. Lucky granddaughter for your kindness
This is exactly what I did when I had to ship a machine from MI to TX a number of years ago. I know I cost more than I thought it was going to cost but well worth having UPS pack it and ship it than to take a chance on it.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:44 AM

My friend in Arizona gave me her Bernina, we bought a used box from the dealer that included all the padding and inserts they use when they ship back to factory. I would recommend calling a local shop and seeing if you could get something similar.

Between box, insurance and postage (we went US mail for a number of reasons) it was not cheap, but it is a huge heavy machine, I think about $300 total. ($100 for the box/packing supplies and $160 postage, about 2 years ago). The machine still sells used for around 3k, so figured it was reasonable.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:28 AM

I had planned on shipping UPS and have them pack it as well. I hadn’t thought of trying to get a box from a dealer. I am not sure if UPS will accept any responsibility if they don’t do the packing. Need to check. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

When we had our own business we shipped everything UPS and everything got to where it was suppose to go.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
I agree. This is what I'd do. You might get a quote from them on how much it would cost.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-30-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:59 PM

I once sold a machine and folding table on Craigslist
I shipped it from Maine to California. I too did not have the original box. I went to a store that installs heat pumps. They had plenty of styrofoam packing from their heat pumps. I packed the heck out of it and away it went.