Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shop Around!

Shop Around!

I needed a new bulb for my sewing machine...called the big place in town...$20.00 plus tax! Called the smaller place in town...$7.95 plus tax...looked on Amazon.ca...$3.81 plus tax and shipping.

I need it for a class tomorrow so drove to the little place and picked it up.
    Watson
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: remove consumer complaint

Good for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Good for you to search for a deal!

​We need to do this more often.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    ​We need to do this more often.
    I do this all the time. It's how I got a new magazine for my handgun. I saved about $30.00 buying from where I buy my ammo vs. the manufacturer.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I always try to shop around before buying. I needed a new battery for my laptop. HP wanted $70+ for one. Found an off brand on eBay for $17. It may not last as long as the HP one, but then this laptop is already about 5 years old and has been used a lot so it probably won't last that long either.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I recently had luck buying a new car. I went to Consumer Reports (you can get a one month online subscription for around $6) and their car buying section. At the same time I went online to Costco (we have a membership) and to their car buying section. I put the same information in both and in a few hours I had email quotes on the car I wanted. One quote was 18%!!! off the list price. I hit the sweet spot where my car model is about to get a refresh, and they were looking to move the 2019 off the lot. Happy dance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
    I recently had luck buying a new car. I went to Consumer Reports (you can get a one month online subscription for around $6) and their car buying section. At the same time I went online to Costco (we have a membership) and to their car buying section. I put the same information in both and in a few hours I had email quotes on the car I wanted. One quote was 18%!!! off the list price. I hit the sweet spot where my car model is about to get a refresh, and they were looking to move the 2019 off the lot. Happy dance!!!
    That's the best time to buy. I bought my last car in June when the new models had come out and the dealership was looking to move this car. I ended up getting 15% off of a car that everyone told me was never discounted because it was so popular. Just shows what "everyone" knows.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Jim does this constantly online. Whether it's vitamins or shoes, he always searches for the best price.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I had no idea that you could get a car through Costco!

good for you to do your research!
    The reports all said what a great car it was, as long as we didn't to speed up steep hills. Our Rav 4 is 22 years old but still runs like a top! Only have had to replace a muffler. We joke that it's going to outlive us.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    good for you to do your research!
    The reports all said what a great car it was, as long as we didn't to speed up steep hills. Our Rav 4 is 22 years old but still runs like a top! Only have had to replace a muffler. We joke that it's going to outlive us.
    Toyota trucks are that way. We have a 2008 Xrunner that we bought in Nov, 2007. Has almost 100,000 miles on it and runs like a top despite being fairly highly modified and having a supercharger. It will speed up steep hills.
    Patrice S

I always shop around for the best price. It is amazing how prices vary-even in the grocery store.

I am also one that shops around. I rarely buy something for the first price I see. I never thought to check Consumer Reports for a quote when car shopping although we do have a subscription. I did check their magazine for average prices, etc. We usually buy used cars rather than new. They are cheaper and last just as long. Someone else has already taken the big depreciation when you drive it off the new car lot.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.