Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A sign of the times..........

A sign of the times..........

In this day of people walking around with their faces buried in their phones......

A warning.........

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...cmp=latestnews
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Hahaha!! Sad people need to be reminded to look both ways and watch for cars while crossing the street!!

Power Poster
    Now that's just silly! If the have their heads up to see the sign, they wouldn't be looking at their phones.

Crazy that we have to do that ... there is a youtube video (I can't access it at work, so can't find the link right now) of a teenaged girl texting while walking in a mall ... and she walks right into a fountain ... loses her phone in the water and everything ... I watched it about 10 times in a row and almost split a gut laughing ... (No, she's not hurt) ... but it is funny! PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE!!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm just from the old school. I purchased my phone to talk on, not to text- I have my computer, a typewriter-yes a typewriter and my pen or pencil to do that with. In 2009 my brother was on his way to the hospital for surgery and his son was with him. I was on my way to the town where they were going also, we both had a long drive to get there, my drive was a good bit longer than theirs. I was about 30 miles from the town and called my nephew to ask that he call me when they arrived at the hospital so I would know what room to go to when I arrived. He politely told me he would text me and let me know. I informed him I didn't text and he said he would teach me when I arrived. I replied that could learn myself but had no intentions of doing so. Neither of us were trying to be ugly with our responses, but as I said before, I bought my phone to talk on, not to type on. I still don' t text!

...texting, like so many things we have/ do has gone to the extreme......for some.

I used to be a Mall Manager. I watched a woman texting on her phone walk straight into a fountain.....and unfortunately, I have seen texting people drive others off the road.,.,head down and not seeing the road, Amazing.
    Can't wait for Texas to pass the non texting while drive law.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I never text while driving, I call always. Its too easy to veer off the road and cause an accident. Every one in the family knows when I am on the road, call-if you don't get me leave a message and when I stop I will call you back (usually that is due to cell service!).
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

In Orlando, FL they installed the round-abouts. True you had to slow down to get around them but it was a real pain for the fire engines to get around them as they are long. Though it did keep out the tractor trailers from using it as a pass-thru. Too many drunks though forgot about these "bumps in the road" and tried to drive right thru them. Needless to say, they didn't make it...............teehee.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    shoot, when i go shopping I must watch for Dads with kids. nothing to interfere with their looking both ways, they just don't. even some Moms! scary!! people just expect you to stop or never see you in the first place.

My phone is for talking, my camera is for pictures, and if someone wants communicate with me by word, I call it email. (a letter is nice too)
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

We have a distracted driving law here. It's targetted largely at cell phone use. It doesn't work. First problem is that it needs to be enforced and it's not. It's certainly ticketed when an accident occurs if the person admits they were on the phone but few do. All it's really done is taken the phones from the steering wheel to their laps, meaning not even peripheral vision is on the roads. If anything, it's gotten worse. The government is even running a "Crotches Kill" campaign.

I heard on the local news last night a woman taking a walk was texting and wondered right into the highway and was struck and killed. Just awful.

I commuted through Hayward before they fixed the freeway (Caltrans got that one wrong for a long time - surface streets were better and faster) I could have used the entertainment!! I hope that this is part of the upgrades that are coming to the town. Silicon Valley money is moving over the bridge to the East Bay... the kids think that we are just slow, but we are smart enough to know what technology we can handle and when.

Blog Entries
    what happened to common sense did it die???

MCH
    First off, Hayward is NOT, I repeat NOT, a suburb of San Francisco. Hayward is on the east side of San Francisco Bay, i.e. east of San Francisco. Contrary to what those in the pit, aka San Francisco, would like to believe and continue to delude themselves into believing, SF is NOT the center of the universe, nor are those who live in that special place.
    The Bay area, however, is home to hundreds of thousands of Silicon Valley geeks/ types. (I work with them, am married to one, and have raised two...)

That said, what these signs illustrate and demonstrate is that no matter how pervasive the nanny state is, there is no cure for STUPID x 1000. I'm waiting for someone to run into one of these signs because they were distracted / amused by it...and, well, who know what happens next.

And, lastly, it is most important to remember that while Hayward isn't a suburb of SF, it is in California. THAT alone should tell you everything you need to know. California already has laws on the books prohibiting talking on, holding, or texting via phone while driving. That legislative boondoggle is about as effective as an open screen door on Noah's Ark!

BTW, I don't live in Hayward, just nearby the town.
    MCH aka PansyRose
    "Any day that you get see the morning, you've got work to do and a blessing to be."

Blog Entries
    My cousin's little boy was only 8 when he was hit and killed by a lady who did not see the stopped school bus. She looked up while texting- she swerved to fly around the bus. She fled the scene but an alert neighbor followed her home. She had her 2 kids in the car with her -ages 8 and 9. The oldest one told the police she was writing on her phone and not watching where she was going. With all the charges they brought against her - her first parole hearing should be some time in mid 2035. This was her 3rd accident while texting. One child died and 2 were left with no mother -2 entire family"s lives were all but destroyed because she could not wait 10 minutes to get home to send a text message.

Blog Entries
    Sadly this is so devastatingly true. Several people have been killed here in the San Diego area in recent months. They were texting, walking and not looking at the on-coming train. Some people even walk around the barriers and never know what hit them. Frightening!

Blog Entries
    That's funny. In Texas I noticed signs that read "Obey Warning Signs, It's the Law". And here I thought they were just suggestions......

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Texting while driving down here is against the law. It just isn't multi-task I am even thinking about mastering. Being on the phone while driving is also against the law, atleast in the city of Corpus Christi. I believe San ANtonio has implemented or wants to implement it. I get nasty when I'm riding with someone and they want to text while driving. Excuse me, you are not the only one in this one ton piece of metal. I was in the school zone and my ear itched, so I stuck my finger in my ear about the time a squad car saw me and pulled me over. I realized what it looked like so left my finger in my ear. He let me go when he realized what I was doing. That right there could've been a $500 fine. No ifs ands or buts about it. If you're at the school for any event and wantto be on the phone you had better be standing outside the vehicle with the engine off.