Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Silent and Invisible "Relative" >

Silent and Invisible "Relative"

Silent and Invisible "Relative"

Old 06-11-2018, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
My husband and I sometimes get mail from organizations requesting money. In return they send address labels. I have mailed some back because they have us as "Jerry and Jerry". My husband is Jerry but I'm not. I can't use them. I told my husband if they would just save their money, they wouldn't have to beg for mine. We do give to some charitable organizations but not every one that comes in our mail.
must be the same outfit that sends address labels to us. My given name is quite clearly feminine and can in no way be considered a unisex name. What we get:
Mr. DH LastName
Mr. Iceleopard LastName
Street
City, State Zipcode

Those we toss, since we get plenty of labels from other charities.

(Do etiquette books still insist that the only "correct" method of address is "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" as if Jane Smith has no existence outside of being John's wife?)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I hope not. i've never been Mrs Don anything. After my husband died i told my son i thought seriously about going back to my maiden name. He asked why? Because that is who I am!! that's why.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 AM

DH still addresses Xmas cards that way, or to "Mrs. John Smith" even if Mr. Smith is long dead, because 60 years ago Sister Mary Godzilla taught him that was "the proper form of address." I go with "John & Jane Smith," or "Jane Smith" -- because is the Post Office going to know who Mrs. John is?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:50 PM

For the last 6 years or more, my we have been getting mail for my DH cousin. While the cousin was alive, we would give him the mail, which turned out to be checks. After he died, we continued to get these checks for his cousin. My husband called the company several times during all of these years. They refused to stop sending the checks so he now gives the checks to his deceased cousin's daughter. No matter what, can't get them to stop sending checks.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:15 PM

I also got a letter from Maine that was addressed to my father who had been dead for 20+ years and never been to Maine saying that he owed child support. If it wasn't paid, he wasn't going to be able to renew his driver's license or get a fishing license. I had to laugh because somehow I don't think he'd care if he couldn't renew his driver's license or get a fishing license. Crazy.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 AM

A cautionary tale - one day this spring my husband got a notice from social security,congratulations, his SS would be starting at the beginning of the next month. Also on the same day, he got a debit card that he needed to activate. Trouble is, he hadn't applied for SS nor had he applied for the debit card. There was a 'tell', as he uses his middle initial, not his full middle name; all of this came with his full middle name. It was too late in the day to go to the SS office, but we did call the debit card company and actually managed to talk to a live person. Oh yes, the card was obtained at a Walmart about 20 miles away from us and was applied for by mail, to do that the person who did this had to put $20 on the card. We got that cancelled and I called Walmart security to see how hard it was to obtain and apply for one of these cards. It turns out, not that hard. Then the next morning hubs was in the SS office when it opened. He was the second one who had called for an appointment to get the same thing straightened out. Someone applied for hubs SS (back to his 66th birthday) and set up to direct the money into the debit account. He got it stopped and notified the police. SO - if you get ANYTHING strange in your mail, check it out, don't just toss it out. We still don't know how or where the information came from, credit reports continue to be clean and he check with SS every so often. Had the thief also come to our house and stolen our mail - we wouldn't have know anything.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM

DH keeps getting notifications in the mail that Medicare and Tricare have paid Dr. So-and-so in Somewhere, NY for DH's pulmonology care. He has never been to that city, nor seen that doctor, nor does he have lung problems. We live 400 miles from there and have our own doctors here for routine care. Every time, he calls and once he gets a live person on the line (which may be 30 - 60 minutes) he tells them this is a fraudulent charge. "OK, we'll take care of it, thanks for calling!" And in 6 - 8 weeks another one shows up. No wonder Medicare fraud is a multi-billion dollar industry!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
DH keeps getting notifications in the mail that Medicare and Tricare have paid Dr. So-and-so in Somewhere, NY for DH's pulmonology care. He has never been to that city, nor seen that doctor, nor does he have lung problems. We live 400 miles from there and have our own doctors here for routine care. Every time, he calls and once he gets a live person on the line (which may be 30 - 60 minutes) he tells them this is a fraudulent charge. "OK, we'll take care of it, thanks for calling!" And in 6 - 8 weeks another one shows up. No wonder Medicare fraud is a multi-billion dollar industry!
That's horrible! It makes you wonder about Medicare . . .