Skunk under my house

Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 AM

We had one under our house a few years ago. Pest Control wanted almost $300 to get rid of it and me, thinking of all the fabric $300 would buy, searched the internet for a way to de-skunk my house. Here's what I came up with -- First, soak some rags with amonia and place them under the house, (they hate the smell), next shine a light under the house (they don't like it light), then make a walkway with flour or some white powdery substance so you can tell by his foot prints when he leaves. After about 3 days, ours left (we could tell by the footprints) and we blocked the hole where he was getting under the house. NO more skunk!! (And $300 for fabric - It was a win/win situation for me!)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 AM

We've had a periodic problem with skunks under the house over the past 10 years. The strangest was when my cats all gathered around a floor register and were listening to "mewing" sounds coming up thru the register. Seems mama skunk had a litter under the house.

We've been lucky for the past 2-3 years. At night while the skunks were out and about, we cemented up all the holes they had dug around our outdoor furnace so they couldn't get back under the house. Guess they gave up. We keep our fingers crossed.

The pest guy we called was useless. He set out a trap with fruit in it and refused to come back and rebait the trap. What a waste of $
Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM

When we moved here from the city our shed had a family of skunks living under it. I heard about the moth balls, so I go buy them, throw them under the shed,wake up the next morning,all the moth balls are pushed out from under the shed and are laying around it. I guess my country skunks where smarter than this city girl, I still laugh thinking about them pushing all those moth balls out from under that shed. they finally moved on and we tore that shed down, and built a new one, I, by myself added a 12 inch rat wall around the base not to have that problem again.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM

I can relate....had that problem, too. Try throwing a bunch of moth balls under your house if you can....
Old 02-25-2012, 01:03 PM

Skunks can't spray if they can't lift their tail, so generally they don't spray if in a small to medium have-a-hart trap. They can claw and bite however, so be very careful moving the trap, even if covered. They can also carry rabies. People keep them as pets, even if not de-scented, and some are fairly smart. I used to have an entire family trooping single filepast my veggie garden every night around 7 pm. Mama would touch the electric fence with her nose- and spray. Every single baby would do the same, then Papa. Every night!!!! I finally learned to shut off the fence before their visit, but had to turn it back on about 8 pm due to raccoons. If the family came back past the garden in the early morning there was a repeat performance. I have a red fox family now so the skunks have moved away. Too bad the woodchucks are so big they share the fox den with impunity! I'm never sure which critter will pop out of which side of the tunnel. I'll take foxes over skunks any day.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Instead of mothballs- try Irish Spring or other strongly perfumed soap. Mothballs are toxic- napthalene which is a double benzene ring. You don't want napthalene in your groundwater or garden! You can suspend the soap in mesh bags around treasured plants to repel deer. Much more pleasant and long lasting than the rotten eggs critter repellants.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Never had that problem, but had a family of racoons in the attic
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Instead of mothballs- try Irish Spring or other strongly perfumed soap. Mothballs are toxic- napthalene which is a double benzene ring. You don't want napthalene in your groundwater or garden! You can suspend the soap in mesh bags around treasured plants to repel deer. Much more pleasant and long lasting than the rotten eggs critter repellants.
Thank you for this information!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM

That is really funny!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM

I think I'll try the ammonia idea. My 'PRO' has caught nothing. What a waste of $