Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank >

Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank

Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank

Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 AM

Thanks so much for the head's up; however, when I get out of the car, I take my keys, leave my purse in the car (so someone doesn't rip it off my shoulder), and LOCK my car. Let 'em slide by that!!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the heads up!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Also put your cell phone in your pocket on clip to your waste when you get out of the car. I was out of my car, locked my car, starting pumping gas at WalMart, guy who did not have a car came up behind my car and asked for a ride to his car that was broken down. I suggested that he call triple A...hoping the tone of my voice was enough to get him to go away. Then he asked for money for a cab back to his car....he was a stranger in town and didn't know where he was.
I pulled out my phone and said, how about I get a police officer to help you with your location and getting back to your car.....he started backing away, then a BIG cowboy in a BIG truck came over and walked between me and the grunge. The guy had the nerve to ask the cowboy for money or a ride.....the cowboy whipped out his ID.....he was a deputy Sheriff! Thank goodness. But at least I had my phone for 911 calls....and in this case, a cowboy. Don't forget ladies while out Christmas shopping, check your back seat before getting in your car, and glance under your car when approaching it. Keep your purse under your coat or jacket, keys out before leaving the store....don't carry much cash, take one or two credit cards, money for meals, full tank of gas before shopping, carry your cell and if you feel uncomfortable leaving the store by yourself, ask a store manager to either walk with you, or watch you when going to your car. All Malls have security who are willing to help you...Stay safe.
I got a huge chuckle at you pulling out your phone and offering to call the police to help the guy out.
Growing up, my dad was ALWAYS admonishing us to check the back seat of the car before getting in, locking the doors, etc. etc.
I got pretty spoiled with my Ford Focus as you couldn't drive 2 feet without all the doors automatically locking - and when you got out, only the driver's door unlocked. Great safety feature!! I have a different car now and am still training myself to lock the doors when I get in, but I always lock my car when I get out - even if I'm only walking away 4 feet for 2 minutes.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 AM

This exact thing happened to a friend of mine in Florida while on a business trip. She was getting gas
for her rental car. Lost IPhone, credit cards, everything.
Marilyn
Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I do most of the driving and never gas up my truck, my Husband does that. I'm trying to train myself to put my purse behind me in the crew cab.
My truck locks as soon as it is taken out of park. I can program how I want it to unlock, right now all the doors unlock as soon as it is put into park. I lock all the doors as soon as I put it in park, Have locked passengers in lots of times. I seldom go out at night by myself.
I also do not unlock the doors with the fob until I'm right at the truck. The headlights come on and at night would alert someone that it is unlocked while I would be still walking to it. I'm too old to run.
It is a shame there are so many losers out there ready to pounce on whomever they can.
I keep my truck locked where ever it is parked. Keep my house doors locked unless my Husband is out in the yard working. He gets a bit irritated if he can't get into the house. When by myself all the doors are locked.
After all these years I don't really trust many people.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I have a locked gas cap so I use my key to unlock. Immediately upon exiting my car to get gas I lock my car for the very reasons of 1- yes carjacking, 2- purse snatching. I use my debit/credit card to purchase gas. If I'm with DH in his truck and we get gas, if I need to go to the store for water or whatever, I lock my side of the truck. He still drives his "96" F-150 w/o auto locks. Therefore we always have passenger side door locked. Once an old hag hooker tried to get into our truck but it was locked. She went to him and he told her to move on. She was persistent and I was having a bad day. Just stood there on my phone and called police. She said to me " I'll get to you later! Later never came. They carted her off to the pokey! Don't mess with someone going through the "pause".
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM

I bought Pepper spray and used it one time. I was out walking and a stray dog came up & growled at me. I thought, Oh Boy, I can use my PS to make him go away. The dog merely jumped aside and avoided the spray, TWICE! I had to laugh and was very thankful that if it had been human, they wouldn't have been nearly as agile.

Seriously, a policeman doing a safety program for us at work advised that we take a can of Wasp Spray on our walks. It shoots farther and quicker. the PS was delegated to my purse. Some RV'ers told us that they had to pay a fine when they tried to take PS into Canada, and it was confiscated. I never tried to make sure the story was true, we just replaced the PS with Wasp Spray in the RV.

When I am driving or have to get out, my purse is always on the floor beside me or in the back on the floor where it can't be seen. No windows are ever down, unless we are in the convertible, then the purse is in the trunk. By the way, don't wait until you are getting out somewhere to go put the purse in the trunk. Thieves are watching and can get into your trunk a lot faster than you can with a key and you end up with the purse gone and a messed up trunk.

I love the idea of offering to call a policeman to help the people out. That's one of the best responses I have heard.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Do not use the remote to lock your car. There is a device out now that will detect your remote setting when you use your remote and the person can unlock your car after you leave the car. I always use the door lock to lock my car when I am shopping. Also if you use a keypad to put in info to get gas, when you are though and return the nozzle, do it again with fake numbers and then hit cancel. There is a device that will scan your last input.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM

I have a CWP, so there's one more thing I carry with me when I'm out...and yes, I've had all the classes and I practice regularly...and I don't carry a purse any longer. If it can't fit into my jeans pocket, I don't need it....cuts down on a lot of anxiety! And the doors on my suv lock automatically so that's one other thing I don't worry about any more. Life's too short not to take advantage of all the conveniences we have!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Unfortunately, pepper spray cannot legally be sold in my state, but I always pick some up when we're traveling - I buy enough to share with my two daughters as well! Better safe than sorry!!
Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I am spoiled. My husband fills the gas tank on my car. However, I did attend a crime prevention seminar last Saturday and bought my first pepper spray ever. Seems like people on drugs are getting more violent to keep their habit going. Sad.