Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank >

Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank

Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank

Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Sliders snatching valuables from cars filling gas tank

My DH sent me a link on facebook that showed videotape of thieves driving into a gas station, stopping their car next to a car where the driver was out of the car filling the tank. It's also on ABC news. Add the http

abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/sliders-snatching-valuables-from-cars-across-us/

All the cases shown in the video involved women filling the tank. Purses were in the car and the doors were unlocked. The thief opens the passenger side of his/her car, slinks over to the passenger door of the womans' car, opens it and reaches in and grabs the purse on the seat. Then the thief gets back in his car and they drive off.

Scary to think about. Be careful out there!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM

My doors are always locked -- you never know so better safe than sorry!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 AM

I saw this on the news too! I never drive with my window open and since seeing it on the news I lock the passenger door.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 AM

I thought I was paranoid but I guess not! I always lock my car doors when I get out to pump gas. Can't be too careful.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 AM

I always keep my doors locked when at the gas station. I manually unlock my drivers side door to get out, but the others stay locked. When I taught my daughter how to drive last year, this was one of the first things I taught her. In fact, I lock the doors the minute I get in my car wherever I am. I am not nervous or paranoid, just safe.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:47 AM

I am spoiled. My husband fills the gas tank on my car. However, I did attend a crime prevention seminar last Saturday and bought my first pepper spray ever. Seems like people on drugs are getting more violent to keep their habit going. Sad.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 AM

Also put your cell phone in your pocket on clip to your waste when you get out of the car. I was out of my car, locked my car, starting pumping gas at WalMart, guy who did not have a car came up behind my car and asked for a ride to his car that was broken down. I suggested that he call triple A...hoping the tone of my voice was enough to get him to go away. Then he asked for money for a cab back to his car....he was a stranger in town and didn't know where he was.
I pulled out my phone and said, how about I get a police officer to help you with your location and getting back to your car.....he started backing away, then a BIG cowboy in a BIG truck came over and walked between me and the grunge. The guy had the nerve to ask the cowboy for money or a ride.....the cowboy whipped out his ID.....he was a deputy Sheriff! Thank goodness. But at least I had my phone for 911 calls....and in this case, a cowboy. Don't forget ladies while out Christmas shopping, check your back seat before getting in your car, and glance under your car when approaching it. Keep your purse under your coat or jacket, keys out before leaving the store....don't carry much cash, take one or two credit cards, money for meals, full tank of gas before shopping, carry your cell and if you feel uncomfortable leaving the store by yourself, ask a store manager to either walk with you, or watch you when going to your car. All Malls have security who are willing to help you...Stay safe.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 AM

Thanks a lot for these reminders. I was a city girl in my youth and was always on the alert, locking, looking. In these retirement days, I'm more "relaxed" and easily distracted! Will try to remember these tips while shopping in the next few weeks.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Even up here in northern Wisconsin we have been having items taken from cars. Most people up here never lock anything and leave keys in their vehicles. We were always laughed at because we lock the house and our cars and take our snowmobile and UTV keys with us (I grew up in a larger metro setting and learned early), they have starting rethinking that.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

It's shameful and scary to know so many people think it's okay to take what they want because others have it. My car has a setting that auto locks all the doors when the car is started and only unlocks the driver's door when the car is turned off. I never drive with my windows down. Too much dust, grit and bugs to come in. DH wants to put dashboard cams in all our vehicles because of all the accident scams that are happening.