Sling TV

Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Best thing we did was drop cable. We have Netflix ( had that already) and tried Sling. We have an antenna and get plenty of local channels. I am considering Hulu for winter only.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:05 AM

I have never heard of Sling TV but will check it out. We pay $99 a year for Amazon Prime and there are many advantages such as Free Kindle books, free shipping but the best of all is the TV/ movies we watch on our TiVo. The movies we watch are all free and just fabulous. Check it out.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by catsden View Post
My son bought me Chromecast for the tv. He came for Thanksgiving and we figured how to hook it up to my older flat screen, have to go thru my laptop. Anyway I think I have decided to go with Sling and Netflex. Sling has the stations that I watch. I have dish, no other options where I live, and have been with them since 2000 so no contract. I am on a fixed income and can save $40 a month doing this. Do any of you have Sling tv and do you like it? Pulling the plug on dish is like giving up smoking, it,s become a habit that I need to break .
I went with HuLu what you need is a good antena I have little trouble when the weather is bad
Old 11-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I'll stick with dish for the sports and ability to prerecord everyhting and play back to skip commercials.
Ditto!!!!!! 8-)
Old 11-26-2016, 03:16 PM

If you like British shows try Acorntv, Lots to choose from comparable to Netflix
Old 11-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

I have seen sling commercials and wondered how good it is.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:52 AM

We saved over $100 a month dropping down to the most basic cable, which more or less just gives us the local channels. We added Netflix and Acorn TV and already had Amazon Prime. We are glad we did it!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:57 AM

over a year ago our "main" local cable company came out with these boxes you had to have in order to see anything other than snow. You were aloud to get only 2 without paying, which bites when you have 5 TVs set up. I get only basic cable for about 33 a month but only a handful of channels are worth watching, most are music or selling channels, I decided to check out antenna's needing to cut back. The one that I really like is the flat one that they sell on TV for 1999 for 2, I got one from the exchange here and can see all but 2 of the channels I get on cable. I called the cable company to cancel the TV part and they said that I had a bundle and if I have internet only then my bill will actually go up 61 for both to 64 for just internet, its low level internet. I had gotten the firestick but you need internet to use it. While I enjoy my internet but don't use it that much I now have to decide to cancel all and return my firestick since I won't have internet to get the extra channels. Plus the cable company says they'll start charging for those little boxes in Jan so now my bill will still go up another 10. You can't win for losing. But at least I can get local TV, the Create TV, Ion and Grit and a few others if I cancel internet. Which is what I think I may have to do.

I think the cable company came up with these boxes as a way to have more control on us. When the government passed a law that all TV had to be broadcast over digital which gave access to more via antennas the little boxes allowed them to control what we could see. You have to have them sync your box to your TV, you can't move it to a different TV in your house and you only see what they want you to see. By the way, with that little antenna, I was amazed that the picture was so clear, not like it used to be, snowy on the old antennas
Old 11-27-2016, 06:59 AM

I want to go to Sprint this week and see how their hot spot works on the cell phones. I already have my house phone thru sprint, its 20 a month, unlimited, where as our local was 30+ and it had no caller id and no long distance. I'm bound and determined to do away with this company before I pay extra for these little boxes that do not help anyone but the company control me and what I can see.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Do any of these new tv add ons get animal planet and discovery channels? I have Verizon Fios and the monthly fee is killing my pocketbook.
Clmay