Slow Computer Tuneup Tips

Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM

If you have a slow computer, there are some things you can do to clean it up even without much computer knowledge. I thought I'd write up a how-to for anyone who wants to know. It's time consuming, but you can always quilt while these are running. And you can do one step, then stop and use the computer, then do the next step the next day or whenever.

0. If there is visible dust on the outside of the computer, get it off, especially off the vents. You can do this to start or while the anti-virus or some other program is running.

1. Make sure your anti-virus program has all the latest updates. Usually double-clicking on the icon will bring up a button you can click to check. Otherwise, visit the anti-virus company's website and search on "update" to get them. Download and install them.

2. Clean out your browser cookies and cache. In Internet Explorer, open your Tools menu, go into Internet Options and click on Delete. Then delete the temporary files and cookies. (You can leave the cookies, but your anti-virus program will probably flag them as a possible threat, so don't panic if you see that.)

3. Run a full virus scan. This can take a few hours. If it comes back showing viruses, I'd write them down and search on the anti-virus websites for a free removal tool. If you just quarantine them, they still take up space on your hard drive.

4. If you don't already have it, download and install the free MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, which is like an anti-virus program for adware and spyware. Even if you don't mind ads, they (and spyware) can really slow down your computer. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

5. Run a full scan with this, too. Again, it can take a few hours. Wipe out any spyware or adware it finds. (I have Norton, and this finds things my Norton doesn't.)

6. Go into your Control Panel to get to Add & Remove Programs. (Start menu for XP users.) Let it load, then scroll through to see if there are any programs you don't want. DON'T delete with wild abandon! If you're not sure what a program is or does, leave it there. You can always research it later to find out if you need it. But if you are sure you don't need or want something, get rid of it.

7. Restart your computer again to get all that work out of memory.

8. Now it's time to defragment your drive. Stay with me, even if those words made your eyes roll back into your head! In Windows XP, click on your Start menu, then All Programs, them Accessories, then System Tools, then Disk Defragmenter. Select your hard drive. Then click on Defragment. Again, if your drive is very large or very fragmented, this can take hours.

9. I would restart again, just to be careful. Then see if things don't load faster and your baby doesn't work more smoothly.

It's also a good idea to open it up and clean inside, but here you have to be careful not to touch the electronic stuff. Unplug it first!!! Use compressed air to blow the dust away. Better to leave it if you're not comfortable with this, as you can damage your computer by mishandling its innards.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM

very helpful, thank-you very much.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM

After doing all this and still having a lot of problems, I changed to foxfire for my browser. Now I have fast internet for the first time in a long time!

Ditter
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM

thanks so much.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Google Chrome is the fastest browser I've used. It's simple and not a lot of toolbars.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
After doing all this and still having a lot of problems, I changed to foxfire for my browser. Now I have fast internet for the first time in a long time!

Ditter

Yep, your thread is what inspired this one. It won't solve everyone's problems, especially if it's been months or years since they've done the things I listed. And if they do my steps and take your Firefox recommend, it could make their computer better than they've ever seen it.

I'm planning to download Firefox myself to try out. :-D
Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM

You can also use canned air to clean the inside of your computer out, to get rid of the dust bunnies hiding inside. I use an air compressor and stand about 2 feet away, then let it air out just in case any moisture was in the air tank. We use a program to clean up the bad folders, files, spy ware. It also cleans the registry and finds empty and duplicate folders/ files to delete. The program is called Glary Utilities PRO, we got it free through giveaway of the day.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM

WOW!! I'm glad I clicked on this one I AM having a hard time with mine I will try this and hope that it will work. I sure do appreciate it very much you putting all this info in. Mine won't bring up alot of sites and also it is soooooooo slooooooowwwww to bring up a page and I have to keep refreshing or whatever and then if it doesn't come up I feel like I could just throw the darn thing. I got it last year and it's a Dell I'll never own another one or have vista either. But I am going to try this.Thank you so much.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cheryl
WOW!! I'm glad I clicked on this one I AM having a hard time with mine I will try this and hope that it will work. I sure do appreciate it very much you putting all this info in. Mine won't bring up alot of sites and also it is soooooooo slooooooowwwww to bring up a page and I have to keep refreshing or whatever and then if it doesn't come up I feel like I could just throw the darn thing. I got it last year and it's a Dell I'll never own another one or have vista either. But I am going to try this.Thank you so much.
I am surrpised to hear you aren't happy w/ your Dell as several people I know love thier Dells-I have heard awful things about Vista, maybe I would start w/ the Vista issues...good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM

This is a great topic. We just had to buy a new computer and again purchased a Dell (3rd one for us), and both our new computer and our laptop (also Dell) have Vista. I really like it and have had no difficulty with it. Wasn't going to get Vista on the new desktop, but DH's laptop has it, and since he is pretty much a computer neanderthol, I figured better to have the same programs on the big unit so he doesn't get confused/scared.

Sometimes, it's the operator that causes the problems, right? (*giggles*)

Anyway, love the suggestions here. I am planning to print them for DH to try himself ... he always whines that he "never gets to do it myself, so I never learn how" ... now this is something he can read along and do so that he understands.

Ahhhhh, men .......... can't live with 'em, can't legally shoot 'em. (*giggles again*)

Odessa