Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Small Town Ben Franklin Store - 60 years ago >

Small Town Ben Franklin Store - 60 years ago

Small Town Ben Franklin Store - 60 years ago

Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I grew up in a very very small town which has a gas station, bank, post office and a locally owned general store. There was only a short Main Street. The school was on the other side of the street but we weren't allowed to leave school and cross the street to shop! The next biggest town was 8 miles away and they had a TWL. It was like a general store with old wooden floors and carried everything you could think of. I remember looking at toys and thinking it was a wonderful place to be. And there was a Western Auto which had the most beautiful bikes!!
Oh, I'd forgotten all about Western Auto (& our next0door neighbor was even the manager so how i forgot is beyond me)! They did have great bikes!!!

What I really miss (both from my hometown & the town I live in now) is the (local) stationery store. Office Depot just isn't the same as an old-fashioned office supply store!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
oh and cherry cokes at woolworths......
YES! REAL cherry cokes from the fountain... yummy! My dad put himself thru medical school working at a fountain like that back in TX!

Anybody remember the trays of roasting nuts? More yum! And the rooms where they developed pictures? You could kind of see the red light under the door.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Ah - the nylons that were help up with garter belts!
I remember wearing those as my very first "hose". Wow! That was back in the day!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Oh my!!! Woolworths and the soda fountain, yum yum, i miss the ben franklins, they always had the neatess stuff
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 AM

I just returned from Minnesota after a 5 week visit. My sister lives 12 miles from Wadena, mn.They still have a BF store. They also have a walmart.I asked at walmart why they didn't have fabric,they said they didn,t want to step on the toes of the BF store.I thought that was very nice of them.The BF store has lots of nice fabric and in the winter offer quilt work shops.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by char7439 View Post
I just returned from Minnesota after a 5 week visit. My sister lives 12 miles from Wadena, mn.They still have a BF store. They also have a walmart.I asked at walmart why they didn't have fabric,they said they didn,t want to step on the toes of the BF store.I thought that was very nice of them.The BF store has lots of nice fabric and in the winter offer quilt work shops.
Yes, I agree. BF has/had a really good fabric department... good quality fabric. Back when we had one here, I taught some beginning quilting classes & that was fun... free fabric for the samples!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 AM

There still is a Gibson's in Kerrville, TX. (Or shall I say last time I was there, about a year or so ago)

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
We had a Kress store on the corner downtown. The building still has the name on it lo these many years later. I remember getting shorts (which I promptly wore out sliding down gravel piles in our back lot), fabric, notions, Evening in Paris perfume, and various other sundries.

There was also a Woolworth's that later became a Ben Franklin store. And later we also had a Perry's where my mom got strawberry plants, flower seeds, and as a teenager I bought fabric (flat fold). Don't remember what else they had but think it was pretty much like what we would now call a dollar store.

And for awhile we had a Gibson's too.

Alas, none of them are still around.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM

I remember going to the lunch counter with Mom and Grandma. It was a special treat and I could order a chocolate milkshake!! The best ever.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by vschieve View Post
There still is a Gibson's in Kerrville, TX. (Or shall I say last time I was there, about a year or so ago)
Last time I was in Dodge City, there was still a Gibson's there (the one I worked at in HS!). I think the Alco was closed, tho. They always had great fabric... I still remember some Marcus Brothers I got there.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM

I bought a paper dress at the Woolworth's store in downtown Denver in 1966. I had a lot of fun wearing that dress.