Small World Coincidences

Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM

I was on a bowling league many years ago. Husband #2 was boyfriend at that time. He worked shift work at a prison....6 months on each kind of shift. So he had off one league night and came to be with me. I looked around one time and he was off down a few lanes over, standing back talking to my co-worker. Turns out they had graduated together in a small school over 1000 miles away 30 years before.

My folks were on a plane that had a layover in Denver. The plane had some engine trouble so they were told their dinner and overnight stay would be paid for by the airline.(those were the days!!!). They were required to go to a certain restaurant in the airport for the dinner. Table space was tight, so they shared tables. The man sitting with my folks had a deep southern accent. After some discussion it was discovered he was my mother's 2nd cousin from DeKalb, Georgia. My folks lived in Oregno at the time. Small, small world!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM

I was vacationing with my friend. We were eating supper at a table with two people we did not know. In asking about their travels we discovered they were on a cruise ship with my daughter, a National Park Ranger, who was giving talks. Now here are the countries involed: We were from the U.S. - Illinois, they were from Germany, we were vacationing in Scotland, and my daughters cruise ship was in Japan. Small world!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM

I went to play bingo one night and sat at a table across from a lady and her daughter, we got to talking and she was up visiting her daughter from Poplar Bluff Mo. My husband is from Poplar Bluff, so I asked if she know some if his family.. Her and her daughter couldnt beleave it , the daughter had dated my husbands brother and they knew his family quite well.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 AM

Our friends took a job in a different state and we keep in close contact with them via mail, e-mails and phone. After a while they started talking about their neighbors and how much they enjoy hanging with them. My DH and I also have a close cousin in the same city, so we decided to kill two birds with one stone and visit both of them. So we planned on staying with the friends first, then heading to the cousins on Wed. We pulled into the driveway, we did our hugs etc..they walked us into their backyard to the pool area...there sits our cousins!!!!The shock of it all to all of us. They live right next to each other, but one lives on a corner, so their street is not the same as the other. Small world we actually live in. Just proves what my grandparents use to tell me all the time... always act your best..because you never know who will see you.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

My oldest daughter,and my oldest son ,their father and his father all share the same birthdate.Always womdered what the odds were on that.We got written up in the paper..LOL!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

Im only a few miles from Table Rock also
Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 AM

My DH's ancestor was Rebecca Nourse, one of the victims of the Salem Witch Trials. An ancestor of my boss was Judge John Hathorne who ran the Salem Witch Trials. My boss also has the same birth last name as my DH (Johnson) but they are not related.

While working in a bookstore in Groton MA, an older female customer and I got talking and at one point she said I looked very familiar. Thinking I must look like someone from the area, I told her I had just moved to town. She asked me where I was from originally. When I told her I grew up in the large city of Brockton MA, she seemed surprised and said she too had grown up in Brockton. And then she asked me if I knew a particular man... turns out the man is my father. She said once we got talking something about me reminder her of her very first boyfriend... my father, who she hadn't seen since she moved from Brockton at age 14. This was strange to me because everyone says I look and sound just like my mother, whom this woman never met.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 AM

We were in living for a year in Hamden Ct. on Sabbatical from Muskingum College. Took the kids to NYC to Radio City Music Hall. Looked over the balcony at intermission and found kids best friends from Ohio -- in town for the day with their grandparents. Made our day for sure!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM

Love these stories! My husband and I both have lived in several states, but never met until years later. We would live in the same area several months apart. It was strange to find out all the similarities. I guess the timing was never right. But I'm glad it we finally met...in God's time. :)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by dpparris
I was born in Hawaii in 1959 and went to High School(1977) in Tampa, Florida with a girl that was born the same day as me and in Hawaii, after checking with our Mom's we found out they shared a room.
Similar story happened to me. When my youngest son was born in Nashua NH I shared a hospital room with a woman who had been traveling though Nashua area when she went into labor. Our children were born same day/same time. She was from upstate New York. We exchanged addresses and promised to write but life happens and no letters got written. Move ahead many years and while out for a drive with our children we decided to stop at a small out of the way park for a picnic and stretch our legs. Only 1 other family was there... turns out it was this woman, her child and husband traveling and they decided to stop for a rest to stretch their legs too.