Small World Coincidences

Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM

I have more. I live in MA now but I lived in Japan for many years. On my first visit back to the US, my daughter (then just 11 months old) flew to San Francisco and had a couple of hours layover before heading to Boston and I bumped into a high school classmate whose wife had just had a baby and whose mother had visited and was flying home on the same flight as me!

Also, after I had been living in Japan several years and knew no other Americans (this is in the 60's when international travel wasn't so prevalent) I went to a luncheon in Tokyo and at the next table heard some conversation in English and they were talking about medical stuff. I'm a nurse, so I got up and introduced myself and after a short conversation found out they were both nurses too and one of them graduated from nursing school 3 miles from where I lived in Marblehead, MA!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM

Reading these all makes me remember many more that I have forgotten, the best story of them is probably when my grandfather FINALLY after 10 years of marriage, convinced my grandmother to leave her mothers house (they had the upstairs apt.) She didn't have any interest in buying a home, so she told him she only wanted a NEW home.
So, the day of the blessing of the house comes along, and old Msgr. from the parish states loudly to someone, in my grandmothers hearing, how nice it was to be back in old Dr. Clark's place!

Dr. Clark, my grandmothers great uncle, once owned the land, and his home actually was once to the left of the present house. My grandmother, however, didn't talk to my grandfather for a while, thinking he tried to pull one over on her....

(another involves that same aunt I mentioned before, when I told her the last name of a guy I was dating, she stated, " I used to change his DIAPERS!!! He's my husbands cousin!!!)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by kanakama
Originally Posted by IBQLTN
My mom and dad got married on his birthday, Dec. 15th. A year later I was due on Dec. 15th but held out until Dec 26 at 1:56 a.m. after 21 hours of labor.

My mom was born on May 29th. My brother was born on my mom's 21st birthday. I married a man whose mother was born on May 27th. His grandfather was born on May 18th, my aunt's birthday. His father was born on December 7th.

So ... in May we had Mothers' Day and both mothers' birthdays, my brother's birthday, and DH's grandfather's birthday.

In December we had my grandfather's birthday, both dads' birthdays, my parents' wedding anniversary, Christmas, and my birthday.
Somehow my words didn't get posted! I'll try again. My father and my granddaughter were both born on Dec. 15th and my maternal aunt and paternal uncle both died on Dec. 15th.
That's amazing!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

I was at a convention In AZ and I saw someone that I met at a wedding a few months earlier in CA. Turns out she just moved to AZ..
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM

My 13-year-old son was spending the summer at a friend's resort in northern MN. We resided in Sioux City, IA. My son acted as a fishing guide for a man from central Iowa. On the day this guy was leaving the resort, settling up his bill, etc., he asked my son if he knew anyone in South Sioux City, NE (across the river). My son answered "yes" and the guy asked if he knew __________ who happened to be my son's great uncle. The two had served together in the Navy in WWII.

The best part....I had always told my son my "small world stories" and he was so excited to call and tell me his.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Another one - I had met my future husband at a stock car race. He asked me for a date and when he came to my parent's house to pick me up, he walked into the living room, shook hands with my father and said, "How are you doing, Leo? Long time since I've seen you."

My dad worked at a business that filled propane bottles and Joe worked for a business that needed propane bottles filled, so they had known each other for several years.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Let's see , how to make this less confusing:
Jose - boyfriend and DD Anna Maria's father
Anna Maria - daughter
Niles - son
Alec - my son's second born
Leslie - Jose's niece and Anna's cousin
Juni - Jose's nephew and Anna's cousin, OK ready?

Niles and Leslie's birth dates are November 9th
Anna's and Leslie's third child's birth date June 4th
Juni married on my birth date September 1st
Alec was born on the exact day that Jose died
My mother was buried on Jose's mothers birth date, phew!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Another one - the story I was told about my name is that when my dad came home from the hospital when I was born there were three little girls playing in the yard and he asked them their names. One girl was named Marilyn. Dad decided he liked that name, but my mother (for reasons she could never explain) spelled it Maralyn on my birth certificate.

***I would be interested if any of you know another Maralyn and how they came to get that spelling for their name.****

Years later in a Toastmasters group, I met a woman named Marilyn who told me she grew up several blocks from the house we were living in at the time we were born and she used to come there to play. We decided that I was named after her and she married to a guy my husband went to school and church with in their Polish community.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Here's an uncomfortable small world coincidence that took place in Boston MA: When my GM was giving birth to her last child (first one born in a hospital), the other woman sharing the room was giving birth to her first child. Turns out they both were listed under the same name of Mrs.***** * ***** (my grandfather's full name). The other woman's child was also my grandfather's child. He apparently had been living a double life. And that is why I never met my grandfather.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
Here's an uncomfortable small world coincidence that took place in Boston MA: When my GM was giving birth to her last child (first one born in a hospital), the other woman sharing the room was giving birth to her first child. Turns out they both were listed under the same name of Mrs.***** * ***** (my grandfather's full name). The other woman's child was also my grandfather's child. He apparently had been living a double life. And that is why I never met my grandfather.
That is one heck of the coincidence. I wonder how he explained that one!