snakes alive

Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 AM

I live in an area, where the only snake I have been exposed to is a garter snake. Once when my husband was cutting up some wood (creating a wall for winter use), I noticed one poking his head out of the wood pile, I went and looked at it and noticed it had the prettiest turquioise eyes. I told my husband to come look at it and as soon as he saw the snake he tried to get it with the chain saw. Figured out he "HATES" snakes right then and there. Never saw the snake again
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM

almost everyone hates, or at least dislikes snakes, living in florida, i see the humor in it, but i would be sleeping on the roof if one was in my house, but then the rats that live in the oak would fall on me, which is may be worse, when i lived in california we had black racers (i think that is what they were called), they were scary cause they moved so fast and one third of their body was up, i do not think they were dangerous, just scary,(plus many more variaties) here in florida we have, as flower joy can testify, moc's, pigmay rattlers, real rattlers, coral, and a host of others that are not posion, but they are still creepy

i just never go outside, now i can never stay inside, what shall i do, snake skin boots?

just having fun,

jan in florida
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 AM

You all have lots of snake stories. So far we haven't found snake. I am home alone cleaning house today, walking very carefully.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM

My 90-year-old dad had a snake in the front hallway of his house a few weeks ago. He saw the tail go under a piece of furniture, but he couldn't get to it so he just went to bed! (I would have been up all night!) Well, around 1:00 a.m. he heard a noise. So he got up and turned on the light. He could see the snake in his room, under a table. The only "weapon" he could find readily was a crutch that had been returned to him from a friend the day before. So he took the crutch and poked at the snake for a while, until it came out from under the table enough that he could grab it. Oh, don't worry....it was just a chicken snake, a BIG chicken snake. He carried it outside and decided to measure it.........57 inches! I'd never heard of one growing that big before. Needless to say, that snake won't be getting in his house any more.

I can just picture my dad, 90 years old, in his underwear, 1:00 a.m., swinging a crutch at a snake. So glad the neighbors can't see into his windows!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 AM

Enjoying the snake stories! I rather like snakes, but I would draw the line at having one loose in my house. At home on the farm in Washington, most of the snakes are bull snakes - love them as they keep the mouse population under control, but we do have diamondback rattlers...and I LOVE to go barefoot in the summer, but can't on the farm. Haven't seen a snake here in Florida...yet, but I'm not going on a snake hunt!

Sure hope you find a way to KNOW that your uninvited guest is gone! I would be getting animal control to come find him...don't tell them you know what kind of snake it is!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM

yeah gramps, i love it, i have one about my mom when she was about 82 or so, in fact several, but i will spare ya'll

jan in florida
Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Hope it is a harmless one. Don't take any chances!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 AM

I have a theory that everything was put on earth for a reason....but when it comes to snakes.....Let's say it really tests that theory.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint
I have a theory that everything was put on earth for a reason....but when it comes to snakes.....Let's say it really tests that theory.
I don't have a problem with snakes, they keep the rodents in control. The things I have problems with are mosquitoes and ticks! What purpose do THEY serve?!?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 AM

thats one thing I am going to ask God, why the ticks, mosquitoes, and nats