snakes

Old 03-20-2012, 04:22 AM

I saw on discovery chanel that when you have a lot of garder snakes it because that is where they mate and have their babies. Check with a local pest controler to see if anything can be done.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by mrsponcho1 View Post
Have him call his local pest control company. I know that here we can get a repellent that you can put down on the perimeter of your yard and snakes will not cross. I have never tried it because our yard is very large area - we mow apx 8 acreas. Anyway, maybe there is something that the pest control company can suggest. At least gardener snakes are not poisonous - but to me the only good snake is a dead snake!
Sounds like if he did this, He will keep them in his yard and garage...
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by crafty3236 View Post
Goodafternoon all
what a beautiful day it is here in northern IL,
I know that there is someone here on the board that knows of something that will work!!
My son (who lives in the city) seems to have a family of gardiner snakes that are living under his garage floor (it is cement) we were there for a short time today an seen 4 of them, my son says that when they mow (they have a small yard)they usally run over 2 or 3, so does anybody know of a way to get rid of them,he tried moth balls last year but no good, Thank you
I understand that a snake is a shocker, because they move so fast, etc.... Bu gardiner snakes don't stick around - UNLESS - they have a great home (ie:FOOD). If your son gets rid of them - what will he be over run with????? I'm not a fan of snakes, but these guys wont hurt you - I have them and they shock me from time to time too, but they keep bugs and rodents, etc.... way down. Good luck
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

There is a product you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I want to think it is Snake-Be-Gone but I could be wrong.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM

I vote for pest control...if he lives in Chicago, he could be dealing with something a lot worse than garden snakes. They may be eating the rodents. If he decides to do it himself, couldn't he just fill in the whole they are using with cement so that they can't get in and out?

Last edited by Tink's Mom; 03-20-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 AM

Before you get rid of the snakes be sure you deal with the rats and black widows (snake food). Snakes won't cross cresote. A good barn cat , usually available from a pet shelter, can kill them. A rat terrier will do the job also - both animals will keep the rats aways but won't help with the spiders. Why do you object to the snakes?

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-20-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM

Yes. Sulphur works, we have copperheads here, we purchased sulphur at the local hardware in a small town and spread it around the house and then around the flower beds and outer yard. We have 6 acres and oak trees, 50 pecan trees, fruit trees etc. But mainly around our house.. Last year we acquired 4 cats and this will be their lst year to see what they will do. I am told they will kill a varment and bring it to let you see??? we shall see??? We ususally kill appx 2 or 3 per year, but I am told they only have littleones every 3 yrs. --not sure on that either. When we were kids we used to sulphur the entire yards and fields but now you can't get that much do to ------bombers. So we make due with the 1 lbs we manage to get. I like living in the country, its quiet.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 AM

This sounds crazy, but it works. Get a couple plastic owls for the yard or a tinish kind to hang from a tree. My son had snakes like that and I took him a plastic owl with a bobbly head and a metal artistic one to hang. In a matter of days the snakes were gone. Lowe's has them. They put them on stakes on our golf courses and the snakes are happy to stay in and around the ponds. Black ones here in FL keep any poisonous ones away. I have an owl sitting on my grill in our courtyard and an owl on a rock in the front. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM

on the hottest day of the year get insulation foam , in a can, and seal all holes and cracks. this is really good if you have snakes under your house siding.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by puppy View Post
on the hottest day of the year get insulation foam , in a can, and seal all holes and cracks. this is really good if you have snakes under your house siding.
Would you be sealing the snakes in or out? I'd prefer to not smell rotting snake corpses all summer long....