Kindle

Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Default Kindle

I, who a while back stated I would not, am now considering purchasing a Kindle...Not the most expensive one, but then again, who knows...I may eat those words too. So, anyway, those who have them, please tell me the pros and cons before I make that decision....so I know what to expect or not.......I am primarily interested in the reading of books part......am not really one who needs social media w/me at all times..........
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

well i don't want internet or anything else on mine so i got the kindle Keyboard 3G with WiFi. simple and easy. i also got a cover for it. I've not used it a lot but have several free classic books on it like Emily Bronte and Jane Austen. I've read some free books from my library too.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 AM

I never thought I would like a Kindle, as I am an audiobook user. However, I am seriously thinking about a Kindle Fire, due to its laptop capabilities. I am starting to travel some, and its compact size looks attractive compared to my laptop. I would mainly like it for emails as I am traveling. I'm open to comments if my thinking is faulty?????? m
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 AM

I've had my kindle for almost 2 years and love it! It was a gift from my brother. He bought me the 3 g one so I could down load book anywhere I was. It is nice when we are camping to get a new book if I want and not have to find a wifi site to do it. I don't have the touch screen on it but wish I did.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 AM

My daughter just downloaded a Kindle app onto my laptop and downloaded some free books from Amazon - can buy from them too. I haven't read any of them yet, but plan to.

I am like you ... considered a Kindle and said no ... I have a cell phone, a lap top and an iPod touch that I use for music, organizational (calendar & address book) and now for audio books. My grandson plays some games on it when we are in the car and I have found a few audio books for him too.

My question is - is it just for reading a book or does it have an audio book capability too? Good luck with the decision and keep us posted. All this being said, if someone were to give me a Kindle as a gift, I would jump up and down with glee and take it!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM

I have 2 Nooks; the 3g and the color. I love them both even though I don't use the 3G because I can't use two and I love the color. It's mainly for reading books but I also download books for my grandson. We love the read to me books so that while I'm busy he can chose that and still meets his requirements for books in school or he can read the books. I do have games like Angry Birds, Scrabble, Pac Man and a few others that I like. I use it as an organizer as well. I can enter things as I go and don't have to be hooked up to a pc to do so. I can get my email on it too. It's great for PDF's that I see on here or digital designs. I can also listen to music while I read and lots more. My daughter wants one for the games or I'd give her my 3G one so she's going to list it on CL in my quest to downsize this year. I love going into a local store to get support and not having to do it online or via phone. Good luck with your choice.

You can also watch movies on it and listen to books as well. It does alot of things.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 AM

I Love my Kindle! Didn't think I would but when my DH bought me one for my birthday I was happy. Especially when you fly, it's great to have games, like crosswords and many others and all kinds of books at your disposal. When you see a certain book advertised you can download it right away, I have 3g and wifi also and a book cover with light, great to read at night in bed. I still like regular books, but the convenience of the Kindle is unmatched. If you decide to get one, you will love it. It also holds a charge for a long time.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 AM

I have the "basic" cheapest version of the Kindle and I wouldn't give it up. I read a lot and found I was running out of shelves for "real books". I don't plan to upgrade; I'm afraid I'd spend too much time on the internet. I just like to read books on mine or play some of the free games.

Here's a great site to get free Kindle books (someone on here posted it before). They send you an email each day with 6-10 free books that you then order from Kindle store on your Kindle.
www.pixelofink.com
Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 AM

I also have the basic kindle & love it. Another great resource is your library READS program that lets you borrow kindle books from your library for 7 to 14 days at no cost to you. It's in partnership with Amazon.com.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 AM

I have the nook tablet. But either way what I am going to say is useful. There are so many free books you can get. And if you do get one check with your local library some libraries have it that you can borrow books. They just became available through my local library in December.