Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snowed In

Snowed In

We are snowed in here...so rather than get cabin fever and bored, I have set myself a challenge to do some project each day using my stash. ( I could stay busy till Summer). I have been making things for Project Linus to sell at craft shows to make money to buy fabric. Right now, I am working on casserole carriers made from place mats. How are you friends occupying yourselves while you are home bound?
    Thanks,
    Jo Ann

I am trying to cut charm squares, so I can get the fabric off my ironing board, so I can use it to iron some clothes that I want to list on Ebay. I am also on the last corner of hand quilting the quilt for my bed, it will be nice if I can get it done before spring. I would hand quilt all day but it makes my arm sore.

Just saw your location - NC!! how much snow do you have there?

I'm probably in the minority here but I love this time of year. It's quiet, no holidays to think about, no yardwork, just create!
    I'm sandwiching a Christmas quilt that didn't get done. Improving my FMQ, which I'm happy about. It's taken me forever to get the hang of it!
    Many projects in my head but I also need to get my sewing room cleaned up. It's messy messy!!!

My plan is: using the “Fabric Moratorium” method of keeping track of amount of fabric bought vs fabric used. I hope to complete a UFO every 2 months. I think I have 4-5 so it’s do-able. DH is beginning to cook and helps clean on Friday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here but I love this time of year. It's quiet, no holidays to think about, no yardwork, just create!
    I'm sandwiching a Christmas quilt that didn't get done. Improving my FMQ, which I'm happy about. It's taken me forever to get the hang of it!
    Many projects in my head but I also need to get my sewing room cleaned up. It's messy messy!!!
    Same here - but I'll give it another week before cabin fever sets in. We have about 18+ inches of snow. But, the really bad part is the temperature. My garage door is frozen shut!!!!! UFO's are really coming along nicely.

I'm keeping two young grands while school is out so keeping occupied is not a problem.☺
    I love my life!

Power Poster
    I actually have put my machine away after Christmas to do a couple of 1000 piece puzzles I got.

Definitely taking advantage of the day off. No school. Working on a BOW using stash.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-05-2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

I'm starting on a quilt for our bigger bed coming soon. Also working on ufo's, and organizing my sewing space. I enjoy this quiet time of year. It's really cold outside, so more reason to stay inside and sew!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    i started the new Brimfield block from paperpieces.com.
    i got all my stuff together so i can hand quilt it too. i look forward to days like this to quilt
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We retired a year ago, so we don't have to go anywhere if we don't want to. I am staying busy making donation quilts for 1st part of Dec. 2018.

My husband is getting cabin fever because it is too cold for him to be outside. It may warm up some next week.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It's bitterly cold and windy here in MD, so staying inside was just lovely. My son's school was delayed, and then closed, so no carpool duty was wonderful! I did ask him to work with me on purging stuff from his closet; he's good at decision making. Not too sentimental, but just enough that he is not a wholesale "dumper" just to get it done. While he was doing that, I sorted a big bin of scraps, magazines, and books.

I also made time to walk a mile on the treadmill. Tell myself I'm sculpting my "MOB Bod" (mother of the bride body). I have six months to go from fat to fab. LOL

News of your big freeze was on our news tonight. Here in Australia we are having heat wave conditions. Guess it is either one or the other, but fortunately we don't get snow and extremely cold winters here in the sub tropics. I am sure all of you quilters will have projects and fabric to carry on with, I just hope that it doesn't last too long for all of you. Stay warm.
    "A Man who never made a mistake, never made anything"........author unknown but a favourite quote of my late FIL.

Made some pillow cases.... hot pads...double hand mitts
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    I am off of school today due to the cold. Wind chills of -15 to -20 today. I am getting ready to start a BOM. I plan to make it mostly from my stash using my precious collection of Kaffe Fasset fabric. I need background fabric to pull it all together. I am heading to the LQS to find something. First I need to make sure they are open as sometimes they close when the schools do. I ned to finish up a quilt top I am making for my DGD first. The blocks are all finished, I just need to put them together. I am making her the Valentine Candy quilt that I saw on here. Thanks JENNR8R for the instructions. It was exactly what I was looking for. I am using a pastel batik charm pack for mine. Everyone stay warm.

Beiing an introvert, having to stay inside and play (I mean”work”) in my studio due to the snow and extreme cold are a dream come true for me! I also enjoy the extreme heat and humidy of summer for the same reason LOL!

I’m working on an art quilt that I “painted” using Inktense pencils- I started FMQing the outlines of the design yeaterday and will get that finished up today which will stabilize the layers. Then I need to decide about thread painting it and doing any fill/background quilting. If I get stuck for a while on that I’ll either work on UFO (there are many to choose from) or one of my other current WIPs (there are 4 of those besides the art quilt).

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

I am playing catch-up after Christmas but I plan to try a square of the tulip quilt Jenny Doan showed a while back. I plan to do that next but have to work the bugs out first.

Blog Entries
    I had plans to at least sandwich the current quilt in progress but DH asked me to work on dishes. Hard to say no to that because he rarely asks me work on them if I'm hot on a quilt but ..... I'll do the silly things then work on sandwiching it. Wish the dishes did themselves. Its okay, I'll think about the quilting (what I want to do) while I'm working on them.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    I am over run with UFO's. I always have something to work on. I wish we had snow so hubby could pull the grands around on a sled with our ATV (we have 40 acres). But alas, no snow. Cold, but no snow here in western VA.

We in the northeast have been in the deepfreeze for a couple of weeks. I sandwiched and quilted a top that's been sitting around for a while, using a new technique I read about in Leah Day's new walking foot book. Yesterday I sandwiched another UFO and will start on it today. In past years, I've made string quilt blocks and blocks out of selvages. Depends on how much thinking I want to do, but sometimes I start on a new project, just to reward myself for living in the north country.

This weather pattern is 'interesting' to say the least! Our weather is also atypically warmer for this time of year. Not much snow and lots of sunshine. However, I view January as very liberating. Holidays are over and time to make plans for the coming year. I plan to deal with some UFOs by working on them one day a month. I have a list of charity projects to do for a craft show in November; I plan to work on those one day a week. I have family and gift things to do and plan to work on them two days a week. I know myself well enough to know I need to make a plan and a schedule to make the best use of time. I love days that make me have to stay in-they are bonus days. To all of you in the adverse weather areas: enjoy the time.

We were snowed in with -34 degrees last weekend. I pulled out a quilt I had put off machine quilting. I am working on it. We were snowed in on Friday and did not get plowed out until Wed. morning. Didn't mind being isolated at all as long as the electricity didn't fail. We are hearty Montanans.

I've made two quilted table runners in shades of blue, cream and white so far this year for my foyer. Yesterday I saw on Facebook a cute Christmas tree skirt from Craftsy. Had to order it!! Pieces are cut out and now it's sewing time. All from fabric already in my stash.

Snowed in in Delaware too, but it's the temps that have us stymied! Brrrrr! Living in the rural part of DE, we are used to bad weather but every time a bird poops on the power lines we loose power. So far for this storm we have not lost power and that is a miracle! My studio that is separate from the house has heat (no AC yet) but the temps are so cold the heater only manages about 40*. I have finished repairing a queen sized quilt made for my stepson when he was 8, he is now 32. Made quickly years ago with a flannel back, the backing just fell apart. I told him he needed a new one and his response of " Noooo, I need this one fixed" was sweet. Made anew back tied and rebound. When the studio warms up his new quilt will be up next on my list. I have knitted one scarf and am currently working on a caplet. I have also finished 2 books and managed not to strangle my husband during this storm. A major accomplishment!!! Overall I am making good use of my time off from work and the bustle of everyday life.

If you are in the minority, then I am too. I love this time of year for the same reasons. We aren't snowed in, but it is arctic out there right now. Too cold to enjoy any outdoor snow activities. Yesterday our high was 2 below, and our wind chill was almost at 30 below.

I've been homebound though, not because of snow, but because of sickness. We've had the tummy bug going through our house members all week. 8 out of 9 of us have had it, and I'm the last man standing. How I've avoided it this long I don't know. Been taking care of everyone else. I've been pushing vitamin C and garlic pills too, so hopefully I can avoid getting it.

Anyway, looks like today I may be able to get to my sewing machine and work on a UFO I've had kicking around for about 5 or 6 years. Happy wintering everyone!
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast