Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So digitally/electronically confused! >

So digitally/electronically confused!

So digitally/electronically confused!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 AM

Default So digitally/electronically confused!

Hoping some folks here can give me some insight. I'm at the point where I'm contemplating becoming 'more accessible'. I have a desktop computer; laptop computer and what I call my 'stupid phone' type cell (slide out keyboard for easier texting but NOT a smart phone).

DH and I have a side business which is my reason for thinking I might want to be more accessible and not feel compelled to be chained to the computers at home.

He carries 2 smart phones (1 paid for by fire company; 1 paid by employer). Obviously gets all his emails, etc. on his phones.

My debate is, do I get a smart phone (and pay through the nose for a data plan which I currently do not have/necessarily want); get a tablet; get an e-reader type tablet?

My goal is to be able to have access to email; excel spreadsheet and my calendar while out and about. And do it as economically as possible. Of course, throw Skydrive into the mix so my files are 'real time'. I currently use Microsoft Office Professional (forget which version though) for my files/outlook calendar. Use hotmail for email. I MAY want whatever device to be able to access various weather sites while 'on the job'. But not sure about that. Most cell providers charge a monthly 'tether fee' to be able to use your smartphone as a hot-spot. Not sure I'm willing to do that either and can't have DH's phones do that due to added cost to employers.

Anyone here able to de-mystify all this mumbojumbo for me???

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

i had an iphone on my daughter's plan.. so i only paid $30/mo for talk/text/web. none of us talks much, so we never worried about using up the accumulated minutes. they gave up their home internet and use everything they need on the phone... but have to charge frequently... they have additional charging cords for the car and plug in every time they drive. when i moved, i left her plan and went with straight talk through walmart and have a samsung galaxy s2 android smart phone. it comes with unlimited talk/text/web for $45/mo with no contract. i don't use the web much on the phone so don't use up the battery too fast... i have to charge it about every other day. if you use the web or games a lot, you'll have to charge frequently. i have a few email addresses and can receive all 3 on the phone. i still like to reply to emails from my desktop though... it keeps all my mail records in one place. if an urgent email comes in on the phone, i cc myself so that the record still shows up on my desktop. i've had excellent service with the straight talk so far. once, i needed some technical help and i was able to do a live chat for the resolution... i liked that method.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of devices. Other then my laptop I use my Iphone the most. I have the unlimited data plan. We were grandfathered in when that plan was cancelled. I get unlimited for $30 a month on three phones. I remember the service rep calling and trying to sell me on the plan some years ago. I said okay I'll try it. I never thought I'd use it or need it back then. Honestly I forgot about it being on my plan until my neighbor about had a stroke when he saw my cell phone bill was 1/4 of what his was. LOL I don't know how much data plans costs now but one will be necessary to stay in touch when needed. I can access my email and go online using my Iphone anywhere I have at least one bar of service. The Ipad mini may be useful. I know a lot of business use those for their employees that have to stay in touch.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM

I have the galaxy 4 and my bill is rarely over $60 a month and I use it a lot. I think AT&T has the best service and the best rates
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 AM

I have an iPad and just recently got an iPhone. I fought the iPhone for 2 years, saying that I don't need 2 data plans, but let me tell you, iLOVE the iPhone, too. I don't have to drag the iPad everywhere, but can do most anything on the iPhone. But I do use the iPad for things I want to see better, as the iPhone is very small for a lot of applications. The only thing I use my laptop for anymore is my embroidery software. When they figure out how to put that on the iPad, I'll be happy! But, at the end of the day, you have to WANT to have these devises, or you'll never accept them and like them. I am trying not to fight technology and get left in the dust - I'm trying to do as much as I can before my brain wears out! Good luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Banned

I have an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy S4. I use the iPad the most, but I use it mostly at home when it's on WiFi. When I travel, I just add to my data plan as needed, usually just for $20.00 with Verizon. My smart phone is with ATT and I pay $100.00 per month, but that depends on how much data you use. You can set the phone to deny access to data when you get close to your monthly limit so you don't have high overage charges.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 AM

I appreciate everyone's responses. For those using smartphones, how is it reading excel files and/or outlook calendars? Can I sync that with my desktop versions? Do I want to save those files 'in the cloud'? I'm thinking I can get better resolution (i.e. viewing) with a tablet of some sort that I could use on anyone's (such as coffee/book shops and the like) wifi and have access to both email and docs that way instead of these tired old eyes trying to read on a teeny tiny phone screen. A minimum phone data plan is going to cost me about $70/month plus a new phone. I've looked into the 'pay as you go' smart phones as well and due to what services you get (or not - at least w/Verizon), it's no cheaper to go that route than a traditional data plan and Verizon service is the hot tip in this area at least with respect to service.

See why I'm so confused????