Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So what is everyone doing this week before..... >

So what is everyone doing this week before.....

So what is everyone doing this week before.....

Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by barbsmith
Originally Posted by raptureready
After weeks of making stockings for Project Santa then going on retreat for a week, DD and I have been doing some deep cleaning on the house. I'll be finishing that today and tomorrow then cooking on Wed. and Thursday. I make the entire meal, we watch part of the parade, my brother comes over, we eat dinner, visit, divide up the left overs, etc.
Menu:
Turkey, dressing, noodles, mashed potatoes, fried corn, green beans, sweet potato casserole, fruit salad, deviled eggs, peas, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and one chocolate, one lemon meringue pie. That's pretty much it. Oh, and Grandpa Jello.
What is "Grandpa Jello"?
I started out bright (actually it was still dark out - 6:15 AM CST) to get some stuff I forgot on Friday at the grocery store, like Cranberries. Hey, did you know they downsized cranberries. I got a 12 oz package and paid $1.99. Last year it was 1 lb and was $1.69. And some candy for the candy dishes. Got home, cleared out some of the stuff out of the front room and living room - we had the carpeting cleaned and with a dog and semi-wet floors, we are not having a fun time right now. Got the cranberries made - taste really good - am snapping some beans for dill beans and I think that will do it for today.

Our menu: Orange Bavarian (Jello and Cook Whip), Rutabaga salad, cranberries, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes (from scratch with butter and brown sugar), Wild Rice casserole, Mixed vegetables (hot), corn bread, Bourbon Pecan Pie (Paula Deen), Pumpkin pie and daughter in law is bringing Ande's Mint chocolate pie, coffee, and/or Choco-Vine for dessert. So everything is written down on paper (my list - I am an old fogie (72) and if I don't have my lists posted around our home, I might just as well pack it in. Right now, I have three, no four pages of notes of what I have to do before I sit down and eat on Thursday afternoon. Actually, I am not an old fogie. I make a list so that I can keep track of what I have done and what I have left to do and it just seems to work for me. Have been doing that for years. Our son and daughter in law and grandchildren - 3 are coming over. It should be fun. I am really looking forward to it. The only sad thing is that I had to pack away my sewing until Friday. First thing on the Friday list is grocery shop and then take out sewing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Edie
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM

I am going to a movie today, coming home to quilt. Quilting til Thursday, going out for Thanksgiving dinner, come home and quilt some more til I am done with projects or Christmas, whichever comes first. Oh, and watching DWTS tonight and tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Edie,
I have only heard about Rutabagas, what do these taste like? Is there something similiar?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm having my kids and grandkids over and need to do the shopping today. I got the fresh, organic turkey and a small ham over the weekend because I didn't want to wait too long and then have to get frozen that won't have time to thaw in the refridgerator!

I'm making everything except for a veggie dish one daugther will bring and the other daughter is making fresh cranberry sauce and a hot artichoke dip and chips. My eldest daughter is coming over early Thursday morning to help.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Laundry and packing, cleaning out and putting gas in the car: all prep for the long drive to Mom's (by way of picking up my Son & DIL) 7 hours with the stop but well worth it to spend time with her.
She does the buying and we do the cooking and clean up, then take her on visits to other family members near by.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Cleaned my sewing room today, so will not start back until Saturday. Going to be a long week. Might get to sneak in there and do some cutting.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Well my day today was a free day tomorrow is cooking day. But today I woke up to snow so this week is done! Also got a call from school to pick up my middle daughter she is sick and will be for the rest of the week!! For the last 16 years of kids one has been sick on Thanksgiving and it is my middle one 90% of the time!!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Edie,
I have only heard about Rutabagas, what do these taste like? Is there something similiar?
A rutabaga is like a turnip only huge (like 6-8" in diameter). It is not as strong as a turnip. The rutabaga is solid with a covering of wax to keep it moist so when you peel it, the wax comes off, the skin comes off until you get to a sort of peachy colored meat. If you are interested here is the recipe. It has to be way over 100 years old. My grandmother made it and she was from Sweden.

Rutabaga Salad
One cleaned rutabaga sliced into julienne slices only a bit larger. (It is hard to cut, but oh, so worth it). You cook the slices of rutabaga until tender, pour off the water and cool. (Now comes the good part).

1/3C mayonnaise
1/3C vinegar
1/3C sugar
salt and pepper - a few pinches
Mix together smooth

Add to the cooked rutabaga 3-4diced garden onions/stick onions whatever you call them - make sure you include the tops (green). Put into a bowl. Add the mayo juice and gently stir. Make a day before you serve it, because it marinates in the juice.

I hope any of you can read this all right. I had to stop cutting - my hand was hurting and I am just taking a rest. I am doubling my recipe because I like this salad like 3-5 days after and I want extras. It just keeps getting better.

Happy Thanksgiving! Edie
Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM

We don't have a big deal on Turkey day. My hubby has to work every year, he get double time and a half which comes out to about $35 an hour so it's ok. Me, the kids and my mother will probably go to the local church and have dinner with all of them. BUT I am now working on getting a sitter so I can go to a LQS on Friday morning b 4 work. They are having 50%off the entire store!! They don't open till 8 so I don't even have to get up in the middle of the night to go!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Shopping! Went this morning with my 19 year old daughter and got the bulk of it including a 24 lb turkey. Just came back from picking up the last of it with my 21 year old son. I am not going out anymore till after Thanksgiving. Too busy!