Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some Helpful Household Hints

Blog Entries

Some Helpful Household Hints

The simplest way to slice a bunch of cherry tomatoes is to sandwich them between two plastic lids and run a long knife through all of them at once!

Keep brown sugar soft by storing with a couple of marshmallows

Install a regular coat rack low down the wall to store shoes safely off the floor

Use a Post-It note when drilling to catch the dust

Hang onions in cut-up tights or old stockings to make them last for months!

Create a thrifty watering can by puncturing holes in the top of a used milk bottle.

Remove pet hair from furniture and carpets with a squeegee.

Cover paint trays with aluminium foil to make cleaning up afterwards a breeze.

Flip a toaster on its side to make grilled cheese

Use a large muffin tin to cook stuffed peppers in the oven - it will help keep them upright.

To prevent potatoes budding, add an apple in the bag.

Add half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water when hard-boiling eggs to make the shells incredibly easy to peel off.

Use bread tags to label power cords.

Use non-stick cooking spray in votive holders to prevent wax from sticking to the sides.

WD40 can be used to remove crayon marks from any surface!

When hanging a picture frame, put a dab of toothpaste on the frame where you need the nails to be. Then simply press against the wall to leave marks (which can later be wiped) as guides for the nails.

Put a dry towel in with a wet load to reduce the drying time

To tell if eggs are fresh, immerse them in a bowl of water.
    Fresh eggs will lie on the bottom, while stale eggs will float to the surface.

Sprinkle salt in the spaces between patio slabs and at the bottom of walls to get rid of pesky weeds (but be careful NOT to get salt near plants you want to keep as salt will kill them!)
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

for those of us that reuse butter tube for food storage. alway put the butter tube {one with butter still in it} in the some place in the refg.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Very interesting suggestions. Don't think I would put my old toaster on its side to make a grill cheese....
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

If company is coming and you haven't had time to clean the house, prominently display some "Get Well Soon" cards around.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    If company is coming and you haven't had time to clean the house, prominently display some "Get Well Soon" cards around.
    LOL this is a good one
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

And leave the vacuum cleaner sitting out, it seems you were interrupted while cleaning.

I use real butter and I save the papers the sticks come in. I keep them in freezer, in a zip bag, for when I need to butter a cake pan or cup cake pan. There is usually enough butter on two papers to butter two cake pans.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    for those of us that reuse butter tube for food storage. alway put the butter tube {one with butter still in it} in the some place in the refg.
    Agree, I also put a black marker X on my used lids. I always know which ones are storage.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I keep a piece of paper on the fridge door listing what (not usual) things are in my freezer, so I don't forget they are there. Things that are in unmarked containers, like leftover gravy, half a can of white beans, etc. Then I am not wondering what they are 3 months later.

lol funny..
    Kitty

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Great suggestions...am going to try the grilled cheese for my twin grand children's lunch today! Thanks

Blog Entries
    WD40 to remove the goo left from price stickers on glass or plastic.

Removable tape to write the date and name on things in those butter tubs that go in the freezer. (I'd lose the list suggested above!)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I pour excess grease from frypan into aluminum cupcake holders so it doesn't go down the drain.
    I also use cupcake holders for measuring ingredients in a recipe so it is all ready to go as I cook.

Haven't done this, but thought it was a great idea: Use a dry-erase marker to keep the inventory of your freezer.
    Pat

Thanks so much for some great tips!

Blog Entries
    I love this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    WD40 to remove the goo left from price stickers on glass or plastic.

Removable tape to write the date and name on things in those butter tubs that go in the freezer. (I'd lose the list suggested above!)
    I use white medical tape for this. It never comes lose, and when I want it gone, easy cheesy. I do fold one end so I can peel it off easier.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

My toaster has little wire plates or grids that pop in a little & gently squeeze the bread holding it upright. Make sure yours doesn't have them or you will have a big mess on your hands when making grilled cheese!

Brilliant, would I have to keep buying new cards for when Mum comes round?!?
    maker of the 'Oh Dear Jane' Quilt, or should I say trying to the the maker of it?

Can anyone tell me how to get paint out of a shirt? It is water cleanup paint, but the water and soap and soaking it in OxiClean did not take the paint out. If there is a way, I am sure someone on here will know about it, this board is such a wealth of information. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Love the suggestions, will try some of them soon.

Put a tension rod under the sink to hang spray cleaners from. It saves space but won't take a lot of weight.

I found acetone or finger nail polish remover will remove almost all of it.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by themachinelady View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get paint out of a shirt? It is water cleanup paint, but the water and soap and soaking it in OxiClean did not take the paint out. If there is a way, I am sure someone on here will know about it, this board is such a wealth of information. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hire help.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I still can't picture how you would make the grill cheese in a toaster. Mine only has room for one bread per side. And how would you get the butter on it, to me that is the best part.

I bought some freezer labels from my granddaughter as part of a school fund raiser. I use the labels on items that I freeze as well as those the fridge. Sure lets me know of the left overs - and dating the items is also a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast