Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!! >

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 AM

I haave a portable HD, too, and back up frequently. My DD keeps telling me I should have my pictures 'somewhere' on the web instead of on my puter, but the PHD is so easy that I haven't bothered to figure out how to do that. Ditto 'favorites'. I'll check to see if my Bookmarks are there. Probably not - LOL.

Edit: Just checked - bookmarks not there - so I'll figure out a way to get them there! Just copying the list into Word doesn't work - you just wind up with a list - LOL.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Just an FYI, you can export your bookmarks.

In firefox 5: Select "Bookmarks --> Show All Bookmarks" from the menu. A pop-up window named "Library" will display. Select the import and backup menu option and then the backup option. A save window will appear. You can save to anywhere - on your hard drive or to the zip that you use for other stuff or to a USB stick.

IE, Safari, and Chrome all have similar methods. If you need help, let me know what browser you're using and I'll try to track down the directions.

Thank you!! I just hooked up my external drive and backed up my bookmarks too.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57

In firefox 5: Select "Bookmarks --> Show All Bookmarks" from the menu. A pop-up window named "Library" will display. Select the import and backup menu option and then the backup option. A save window will appear. You can save to anywhere - on your hard drive or to the zip that you use for other stuff or to a USB stick.

IE, Safari, and Chrome all have similar methods. If you need help, let me know what browser you're using and I'll try to track down the directions.

Thank you!! I just hooked up my external drive and backed up my bookmarks too.
My browser is Yahoo - can you help me?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM

The last time I thought I has backed up my favorites, I found out later--the hard way--that I only had a copy of the titles of the files.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM

mpeters1200, I am so sorry this has happened to you. It's happened to me too, several times. I am not computer savy either though I'm on a computer all the time.

qbquilts, I have an 8GB sanDisk stick and I will use your instructions above to save my bookmarks. Can I also save my pictures on the same disk? Will the pictures copy over the bookmarks or will they all go on in the order they are saved. What about later if I add more pictures and want to save them too? I appreciate any help, I'm sure there are many others out there that would like to have a better understanding of "how it all works" if you would have the time to respond. Thanks, Rose L
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM

I feel so sorry for you!! So frustrating. You don't, by any chance, have an IPhone do you??? All the bookmarks will be the same. It imports from the computer you used to log onto Apple. Just a thought....or a reminder for anyone else in this situation.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
or pour myself a stiff drink!

My pc recently crashed and I had to have it completely rebuilt. I ALWAYS put my PDF quilt patterns, tips, word documents, pictures any type of file that can be saved on a zip drive.

When I got my pc back, not only were all my games gone (which I suppose can be repurchased or whatever) every single one of my bookmarks are gone.

I think I had around 300 between all of them and probably at least half of them were quilting or sewing oriented. Links to BOMs, mysteries, fabric manufacturers free pattern links...all sorts of stuff. So I am systematically going through all 332 pages of the links and resources portion of the site to try and rebuild as many as I can. Thankfully, Craftybear is super awesome and shared many of her wonderful bookmarks with us! So...I know I'll get some back, but I will probably wonder if I ever got them all....quilting blogs...tips pages everything...gone.

I WANT TO CRY!!!
That is why I print out all my patterns etc so I have them. I have lost bookmarks at times too and just went into Google for the right one then re-book marked those pages. I hope you find all of yours.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM

I am sew sorry. Hugs
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
or pour myself a stiff drink!

My pc recently crashed and I had to have it completely rebuilt. I ALWAYS put my PDF quilt patterns, tips, word documents, pictures any type of file that can be saved on a zip drive.

When I got my pc back, not only were all my games gone (which I suppose can be repurchased or whatever) every single one of my bookmarks are gone.

I think I had around 300 between all of them and probably at least half of them were quilting or sewing oriented. Links to BOMs, mysteries, fabric manufacturers free pattern links...all sorts of stuff. So I am systematically going through all 332 pages of the links and resources portion of the site to try and rebuild as many as I can. Thankfully, Craftybear is super awesome and shared many of her wonderful bookmarks with us! So...I know I'll get some back, but I will probably wonder if I ever got them all....quilting blogs...tips pages everything...gone.

I WANT TO CRY!!!
First get yourself an external drive, and remember to save everything on to that too!
And keep this in mind.
..unlike our brains, a computer is not self - quizzing / self critical/ self correcting..so it makes mindless stupid mistakes! It is really just numbers endlessly!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 AM

Call me a panic merchant,
but all my quilting, tips patterns, sites, and blocks,
are on a portable hard drive.
Hopefully if my P.C. blows up, my quilting notions will be safe.
To me the $85.00 is well worth it.
Cheers to all.