Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Something to think about - Children need to be immunized! >

Something to think about - Children need to be immunized!

Something to think about - Children need to be immunized!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Worst part is, your child might not have a problem, get sick and get better and some child they come in contact with could become very sick or die because they got it from your child. So many people today are clueless of what the older people know, and someone else pays for the stupidity.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
There is nothing preventing the adults who work with children from getting vaccinated, is there? My sister worked in a nursing home for years and routinely got the flu vaccine to protect herself.
Um...the flu vaccination is different than mumps, is it not? I did and do get the flu shot every year. I was immunized for mumps as a child and had no idea I needed to be re-immunized to teach. No, there is nothing preventing the adults who work with children from getting vaccinations, but if they have already had the vaccination, they feel that they are protected, as I did. Sheesh!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM

There are a lot of doctors who refuse to accept babies into their practice if the parents refuse to immunize. It's because when the babies come into the office carrying mumps, measles, etc they expose everyone to it.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM

I had both of our sons vaccinated at the proper times.... then I started hearing about the problems... so I started delaying there shots at least 3 months - 'oh I just forgot', I do believe that shots are given at too young of an age. I personally know parents whos kid was perfectly fine when they went in to get there shot and 6 months later were totally deaf, after having been sick from the shot. I do not believe that all vaccine's are created equal. (properly)
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM

I remember getting the mumps but don't remember about 20 days after that because I was sick. Also, when I was a child, our family had a few adult friends that were disabled from the effects of polio. While I do understand the fears that parents have, I believe that the vaccines are the best defense we have against these horrific diseases. Although if I had it to do over again, I think I would've done as a previous poster suggested by spacing them out some.

When I was pregnant, we were told to eat this but don't eat that. Now pregnant women are told to eat totally different. We were given medication for morning sickness, now they have to tough it out because that medication is dangerous. Babies weren't supposed to sleep on their backs, then no tummy sleeping - who knows how they're supposed to sleep now. It seems that medical rules keep changing but that doesn't mean we just ignore those rules. At some point, we have to say this is the best we have at this moment and go with it!!

For those friends of mine that had polio, I think they would have taken the chance on the vaccine!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Here, in GP, we have had some new cases of pertussis and it reminded me that when I got my tetanus shot I got the Td and not the TDap which protects against pertussis. As I turned 65 recently, and am no longer working where immunizations were required on a timely basis I need to do this. Also, we need to make sure we get our pneumonia vaccine as well as our shingles vaccine. Let's have a healthy old age!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM

As a retired pediatric nurse most of my years were in an office) I have always promoted vaccines. I am old enough to remember polio and iron lungs,have seen tetanus (the child died a terrible death),meningitis,etc. The discomfort from the vaccines is minimal. Most of the adverse press is based on inaccurate information gleamed from poor studies and have been proven inaccurate--but this part doesn't usually make the news!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Something that doesn't get mentioned by those rejecting vaccines because of the dangers of heavy metals related to the shots is that the real issue is that those who react adversely apparently have an issue with the way their body processes the vaccine and that is something that should be known and dealt with instead of just avoiding the shots.