Son going to army basic

Old 05-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Join a Blue Star Mothers chapter, contact me and I'll send you patterns to make him neck coolers, helmet liners, and sand scarves. I'm an Army Mom of twenty one years. My oldest son can retire any time he wants but he loves his men and women.

I'm serious about contacting me. I am a proud Blue Star Mom and I'm always willing to help others through the rough time. My friends here have helped me stay sane through tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. We get along with a lot of help from one another, God, and contact with our family.

I will be happy to help keep the letters going to him if you'll share his address with me.
Hugs,
Sharon
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Give him a big loving hug and tell him THANK YOU from my family as well. His service to his country is a wonderful thing, and it is appreciated. I've supported several servicemen and servicewomen in Iraq, and know for a fact that the number one request is sweets. That and "portable" snacks like beef jerkey and nutrition bars that they can carry with them.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by azgal
My youngest of two- son 19- leaves for Ft. Benning on Tuesday.
We're having a family bar-b-que today at my daughter's. It's going to be so tough! Got some projects lined up for the summer. I'm a teacher so I have some time off. Wish it was happening during the school year.......
My daughter (age 18) is about to deploy to Iraq. She is also in the Army.

I will keep your son in my prayers along with all the others serving our country.

Have fun at your cookout.

Missy
Old 05-30-2010, 04:21 PM

Missy, our chapter is here for your daughter, too! PM me her address and we'll keep mail going.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl

My daughter (age 18) is about to deploy to Iraq. She is also in the Army.

I will keep your son in my prayers along with all the others serving our country.

Have fun at your cookout.

Missy
Thank her for her service. Will pray she stays safe.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 PM

thank you to your son. he is brave and he will come home a man. it will be hard but after camp keep the letters and goody boxes going till he returns sAFELY. I sent to soldiers unknown to me who had no one to write them they said mine were the best fun and best tasting.....I got letter from them and their buddies who got to share. made me feel good too.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Our oldest Grandson is in the Army, went in after Jr. ROTC and high school graduation. He was at Ft. Benning also. We went to his graduation, Cleveland,TN and his Basic Training Graduation. We sure were and are pround of him, he has another 2 yr.s and look for him to re up when the time comes. He has been in Iraq and now going back, Army keeps moving his deployment date up. He is married has a 2yr. old and expecting another Baby in Oct., he won't be State side now when the new one comes. My Daughter (his Mom) and I will make sure we are with her when the new Baby arrives. Her family is in Alaska. She will return home when she and new baby can travel, her Mom will fly down and fly back to help with the kids.
It is brave men and women like your Son and all the ones before that is the reason we have all the freedom and rights that we now have. My Dad was Army, 2 Brothers were Marines ( dead now), Hubby was Navy Reserves.
God Bless them one and all.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
Originally Posted by azgal
My youngest of two- son 19- leaves for Ft. Benning on Tuesday.
We're having a family bar-b-que today at my daughter's. It's going to be so tough! Got some projects lined up for the summer. I'm a teacher so I have some time off. Wish it was happening during the school year.......
Army mommy,,, I wish your son all the best,, I am also in the service, I went through BCT ih Ft, Jackson, SC. And my advice to you as a parent,, send letters,, lots of them,, cards, ( NO MUSICAL ONES!!!!lol) pictures of the family... the more the better. The phone calls are sporadic,, and sometimes not at all. And so a letter for him, will brighten his mood, and make the days go faster. Remember on thing,,, to be a good solider,, we need our support at home.
And advice for your son,, remember to always keep your chin up,, never quit,, and never show a weakness. This is the beginning of a career, and the best you do now,,, will follow you. Train and learn,,and then move forward,, nevr address them as sir or mam' only by drill sgt,,,,, the days seem long,,and the weeks even longer,, but make the ebst of it,, and remember,, what you learn there,, may save you, or your friends life...
Best of luck,,, my thoughts and prayers are with you!!! :thumbup:
Couldn't have said it better! I know when my brother was in Vietnam and I sent packages and letters, he was thrilled. They packages were shared with his unit (cinnamon rolls, cookies, candy, etc) and the letters were passed around.

I believe that no matter where a soldier is or what their job is, they need to know they have the support and love of their country!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. Tell him good luck and if you CAN post an address, I'm sure he'll receive plenty of letters from this board. They are the best!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 PM

We have 2 grandsons serving. One is Air Force the other is a Marine. They both lived with us before joining up. It was hard to see them go but it also made us so proud. Our Marine is starting his schooling in communications on Tues. We got to talk to him today for over an hour and I am still weepy from missing him.

However, he has grown so much and learned so much. He has learned to stand tall and not quit when it gets difficult. He makes us proud.

And like was said all ready those letters and pictures are vitally important. We sent stories about courage and caring about others and he told us how much of a difference it made. My son emailed his superior several times and was thanked for checking in on him. So give your son all the support you can, it will make a huge difference for him.

We are praying for your young man and for your family and please tell him thank you for serving and good luck.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 PM

Letters, letters, letters is what is important. Pictures of the family even if it is just goofing off. My son said that this is what kept him going at times because he could pull them out and re read them and look at the pics. Even the goofy ones with the dogs and my chickens.

Son currently in an unidentified area of Iraq but will hear from him soon as he returns to his base.
My son joined when he was 17 and has been deployed 3 times.
Step daughter turned 21 in Iraq and now my grson just joined.
So proud of them and proud of your son for making a super choice of career.
Good luck and prayers to both you and him.