Son going to army basic

Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 PM

a post note,,,, if your going to send anything to him in basic,, becarefull,, no sweets, no food, nothing ediable !!! the drill sgts will throw them out. Send baby wipes, sun block, white socks, paper, pens,,,, once he gets to AIT, (where he will train to know his specific job) then you can send anything you like,,,

Hope this helps!!! :-D
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 PM

My SIL wen thru basic at Ft Benning two years ago. Now he and DD/family are stationed in Hawaii. My prayers to you and your family, I know you have a heavy heart. We are all honored your boy has the spirit and pride to serve his country. Be proud, very proud and may he return home with God's speed.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:00 AM

I want to thank you all! Sitting here at 1:00 in the morning. Just too wound up to sleep. He did not want a tearful good-bye in the lobby so we said our good-byes in the parking lot. Walking away - he did not turn around once to look back!
I want to say how kind you all are. So much appreciated! I will be going to that site for parents and mimi I'll pm you with his address soon as I get it. Feel so blessed to have all this support! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:55 AM

From a military mom, I can tell you that he is embarking on a whole new life. His training will turn him into a man. He has all my prayers. I, as a semi retired teacher, will be working with 5th graders next fall to make fabric postcards for soldiers somewhere. These give our military something small to carry or keep handy to remind them that they are deeply appreciated and have our support. Best wishes to ALL military personnel.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by azgal
I want to thank you all! Sitting here at 1:00 in the morning. Just too wound up to sleep. He did not want a tearful good-bye in the lobby so we said our good-byes in the parking lot. Walking away - he did not turn around once to look back!
I want to say how kind you all are. So much appreciated! I will be going to that site for parents and mimi I'll pm you with his address soon as I get it. Feel so blessed to have all this support! Thanks!
I did not turn back either, it just tears our hearts out to see our mommy and daddy crying,, I knwo the road may be hard,,and u often wonder if it will ever end,, but beleive me,, when he comes home,,, a man , you will be so happy. not saying you did not raise him to be a man,, but everything you taught him, combined with the army,, will make he a man among men,,, My heart and blessings go out to you,,,
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 AM

The day my son left for basic training, his dad and I went into the terminal with him. When he left to board his flight I did pretty well ... no tears, just a big hug, a smile and told him I was proud. Then we walked around the corner to a window in another part of the airport where we watched his airplane taxi away from the gate, and out toward the runways for take-off. By this time I've let myself cry and I'm pretty much sobbing and going through tissues one after the other. Months later he is at home on leave, and the subject of the airplane came up, and his dad described the scene. Turns out he wasn't on the airplane I was watching! My son thought that was hysterical, and we laughed about it for years.

I know you aren't laughing today, but you will. You'll feel so proud when you see him in uniform for the first time, and you'll know he is part of a group like no other.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Banned

thank your son for me and tell him be safe. God bless. Penny
Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 AM

Re-reading everyone's messages this morning. They are all so heart-warming and really help. Just waiting anxiously to hear from him. He grew up in Prescott, AZ- which is high desert at 5500 feet. Hope he is adjusting to the climate of Fort Benning GA. Imagine it's very hot and humid.
Again thanks to all! You are all so kind with your prayers and thoughts. His father and I are so proud of him!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM

I live in GA and he's right. It's very hot and humid here. Thank him for serving from me.