Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sorting Laundry -

Power Poster

Sorting Laundry -

Why is there always one item that does not go with anything else and languishes unwashed for weeks (months, sometimes) because it is an "orphan"?

The intensely yellow shirt - does not go with the whites or lights - does not go with the darks -
    The black and white striped shirt -
    The wool socks -
    The new intensely colored shirt - (magenta or teal)

I have sometimes gotten so annoyed at that one item that I will wash it by itself - but because I was raised to be frugal with water, that causes me "pain". If I get really "desperate", I will wash it by hand.

And where does that kleenex come from? I thought I checked all the pockets!

Anyone else?

Blog Entries
    LOL! I retired in December and just got around to washing one of those orphan tops I used to wear to work. And the Kleenex, yeah, I hear you.

At my house anything orphan goes in with denims . . . unless it is fragile, then I chastise myself for the purchase while handwashing it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, those Kleenex pop up all the time--lol !

Get some colour catchers (Shout is great) and was with whatever load the fabric goes with. That usually protects everything. My DD throws everything together which drives me nuts but most(!) of the time it works....
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Blog Entries
    I thought that was what sheets were for.

I use the color catchers too. I do still separate the whites from the darks and since we have so many grays I have that pile too. And there is a pile for delicates - this is where the color catchers really go to work because there just isn't enough for separate loads and I will not wash them by hand. Same with the fabrics I bring home - they all go together with warm water and a color catcher (mainly because I want to know if one of the fabrics is going to bleed).

It seems I ‘sort’ Kleenex with darks only. How can one small tissue cover everything in the wash inside and out?

I watched a you tube video where a young woman showed how she did laundry in a family of a lot of children. She said she sorted by like fabrics not caring about color except for the whites. If I have a loose item I add it to whatever is left. It might need to go in a lingerie bag. I don’t find anything lately runs color wise
    Alyce

I wash everything in cold. No color running. Comes out clean. Things I want to bleach, I separate and bleach, but that's not often. Spot treating and washing regularly works for me
    ~Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I watched a you tube video where a young woman showed how she did laundry in a family of a lot of children. She said she sorted by like fabrics not caring about color except for the whites. If I have a loose item I add it to whatever is left. It might need to go in a lingerie bag. I don’t find anything lately runs color wise
    Exactly how I do it too.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

That kleenex has a cousin who hides in my laundry room and jumps in the washing machine tub when my back is turned. Tricky little devil!

Blog Entries
    I've had kleenex make it thru the wash, but then came apart in the dryer. Much easier to clean up

You know those little lens cleaning advertising cloths that optometrists and opticians give out? I missed one in DH's pocket. It cost me a repair service call because it was small enough to make its way into the drain mechanism and then got wrapped around the rotors of the drain motor. Grrr!! At least Kleenex will (mostly) disintegrate.

I have started being much less picky about colour sorting especially if the items have been washed before. If I have several sweaters to wash, each gets its own lingerie bag and are washed in one cold delicate load, then laid flat to dry. I have become much more picky about what goes into the dryer. I got tired of my tops getting wider and shorter. Now all my tops come out of the washer, get a good shaking and are hung on hangers to dry.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

mim
    I'll tell you where they went -- the same little ogre that used to steal hub caps has switched to socks, etc. because new cars don't have them any more

Doing my laundry right now and thought I'd cut off all the tags to the new tops I picked up. Wrong!!!!! Of course it had to be the top made from t-shirt fabric so the shredded tag stuck like glue to it, not to mention the mess it made inside the washer. Took it outside to shake as much as I could, then took a roller tape to try to get the remaining off before throwing it into the dryer. Not too much of a mess but enough to mess up my perfectly pleasant Sunday.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-30-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I usually put things like that in with some dark towels - dark towels that have been washed numerous times and don’t bleed anymore. Recently I got a hot pink dress and my husband put it in with a load that included some of his undershirts. Whoops. I’m not sure why you’d put hot pink in with white... Even the color catcher didn’t help with that.

i remember my mom having a washing machine where you could save the water to re-use. When we got our first washer I asked for the water saver one, but they said they didn’t make that kind anymore.
    Lori

cleaned a filter Saturday. One allen wrench, one T pin, one 2" screw, and one hand sewing needle.
    My greatest fear is all of my family standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" he was.

I am old fashioned when it comes to wash. Whites, in hot, with bleach. Colored clothes are separated by lights, medium, and darks, and done in that order. I have the ability to adjust my load size, water temp, and kind of cycle I use. I use color catchers, and color safe bleach. Kleenex/paper towels and strictly DH's fault! He loves to stick them into any available pocket. I usually miss the button down shirt pocket! I grew up using water saver machines, so it was important to do things in the correct order to keep mom happy!

I try to match an odd color item with a load that is the closiest. I only wash in cold water, never had any clothing bleed color.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I haven’t washed any Kleenex lately. But, I have laundered money. Hope the police don’t come after me

Blog Entries
    I'm lucky!! Cold water does not reach my washer. Don't have much to wash per load as I live alone. Use Oxyclean with Purex in every wash .(about 1/3 or the recommended amount of Oxy and 1/2 of Purex). Live happily with well water. Maybe its because all of my laundry has been washed about a billion times each piece, but no problems for me! Oh yeah, occasional kleenex but at least its clean!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    My DH and I do our own laundry...sometimes I haves to move his to the dryer (after hogging the washing machine for a day or two) but that’s okay, I often find paper money in his shirt pockets. Finders keepers $$$.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have two regular sized laundry baskets in our bathroom. One (white)for white clothes and one (green) for all “other stuff” (clothes, bath towels and washcloths). I also have a small basket that lives on the dryer for kitchen towels and cloth napkins.The bed linens get washed separately as do the bathroom rugs. Makes life easy. When we strip the bed, those things immediately go downstairs to the washer and drier. When they’re done, they go right back upstairs onto the bed. When the whites basket has a loads worth it gets done. Same with the “other”basket. The basket for napkins and kitchen towels gets done when it gets full. I do a single load of laundry 4 or 5 days a week. I also use minimal amounts of detergent and mainly cold water. Seems to work for me and DH, but we don’t own clothing that requires special care.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    I told my son to look beside the washer and or dryer when missing a sock. that is where I find them!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast