Sound Off!!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Thank you lab fairy for the ideas. I might try something and see what I can get away with. I love to garden maybe when hubby finishes college we can get a house, he has 3 semesters left. I can't wait til he is done.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I can't have a garden where I live but my DM has one and I got some fresh chili pepper this morn. Gonna make a pot of chili beans today. I wish we could have a garden because I would have everything growing in it. I prefer fresh veggies.
My son lived in an apartment where the people above him had the whole balcony covered with potted flowers. When they watered they soaked their balcony and my sons space. Sitting out in chairs was a dangerous activity. The watering also wasn't good for the construction. That may be one of the reasons why your manager does not allow plants on the balcony.

I agree with starting with herbs on the windowsill. First of all they smell wonderful and second they taste wonderful in cooking. It might help your yearnings for a veggie garden.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I little on the bottom so that shouldn't be a problem. Plus it rains so much here that I don't think watering would hurt anything. I did put a small pot out for flowersa that Janice sent to me and so far there hasn't been any complaints. So I might give it a try. If they say remove it then I will just take it to my Mom's.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM

I have not had a tasty cantalope in a few years. No taste at all. The one I bought grown locally had a little taste, but not near what my taste buds remember.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM

I would love to have fresh veggies, tomatoes from the store taste like plastic. I wish I could find a stand that had tomatoes, corn, cukes, green peppers, and good watermelon. Going to Ky next month, maybe I can find a good watermelon there. IT seems like the stands that used to be around are gone.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

I love to shop at the farmers market here. Lovely fresh grown eats.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

stitchinwitch, I'm so glad you started this!!! Many of us feel as you do.
I REFUSE to eat tomatoes unless they are in season and I buy them from farmers and we grow our own as well.
A good replacement for those awful tomatoes is fruit. My Mom used to cut up oranges and put in salads and I still do (so does she!) That was long before restaurants did it!! Lots of fruits taste great in a salad.
We only buy free-range chickens and eggs, beef. As much as we can we are going organic. Costs more but I'd rather eat better than spend the money elsewhere :)
I also pick dandelion greens in the yard- they are so nutritious !!
All my neighbors have perfect lawns but us.......... :D
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM

And they wonder why cancer is so abundant now adays! We have a veggie gardent too, but it has shrunk considerably this year. Hubby had back surgery and I'm never home.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
I have not had a tasty cantalope in a few years. No taste at all. The one I bought grown locally had a little taste, but not near what my taste buds remember.
I haven't eaten a cantalope sense we left Ca. I miss the fresh veggies and fruits we used to get from the road side stands. We used to buy 2 10lb. bags of fresh oranges for 5 bucks. Oh and the fresh strawberries. I miss them all. I will say that is about all that I miss about Ca.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by quiltykitty
I haven't eaten a cantalope sense we left Ca. I miss the fresh veggies and fruits we used to get from the road side stands. We used to buy 2 10lb. bags of fresh oranges for 5 bucks. Oh and the fresh strawberries. I miss them all. I will say that is about all that I miss about Ca.
Oh YES YES YES!! Those strawberries are the LARGEST, SWEETEST berries in the US. The navel oranges were the best when there was a freeze, and they couldn't sell them to the retailers. BUT they would sell them off the side of the road and were JUICY, SWEET, and B-I-G!