Source for flannel

Old 04-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Source for flannel

My GS will soon be moving to a youth bed. It's the width of a crib, but somewhere between a crib and twin in length. We have not been able to find sheets that fit. Bed was free, and in really great condition, so not finding sheets is a small inconvenience, especially since Grandma sews!

I would like to make some flannel sheets, and would like the flannel to stay soft, and not pill. Can you recommend a source/brand of nice flannel. I can just get the sheet out of a regular width of fabric, so I don't need to look for extra wide fabric.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 AM

I had really great results from Fabric.com. I found soccer players - so cute, and a Princess fabric for the back of 2 quilts. We have "Beverly's Fabrics" in San Diego and when I need a plain backing flannel, I use their flannel - it is marbled, so not a solid per se but they have such a variety of colors I usually find one that works. They have an on-line store.

Once I bought just a solid blue piece of flannel and it was the worst fabric ever - it bled like a son of a gun and had no body at all. It was from Joann's - usually the flannel I buy is good, you can tell by the feel, but that one piece was bad. I should have taken it back, but never did.

Right now there may be a lot of flannel sheets on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target and Walmart - maybe you could just cut them down.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 AM

I have no on-line source for you, but I can vouch for Moda flannel. Wonderfully soft, thick and no pilling.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM

I made some flannel quilts with flannel from Joanns with mixed results. Some washed great, and others not so great. It was all the same brand, and I found I could not predict how it was going to wash by how it felt prior to washing. So I'm trying to avoid Joanns.

I did check out the clearance shelves at Kohl's for flannel sheets, and there was one set with pink hearts - not a good choice. I assumed I was too late for flannel sheet sales. I will keep looking.
Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I had really great results from Fabric.com. I found soccer players - so cute, and a Princess fabric for the back of 2 quilts. We have "Beverly's Fabrics" in San Diego and when I need a plain backing flannel, I use their flannel - it is marbled, so not a solid per se but they have such a variety of colors I usually find one that works. They have an on-line store.

Once I bought just a solid blue piece of flannel and it was the worst fabric ever - it bled like a son of a gun and had no body at all. It was from Joann's - usually the flannel I buy is good, you can tell by the feel, but that one piece was bad. I should have taken it back, but never did.

Right now there may be a lot of flannel sheets on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target and Walmart - maybe you could just cut them down.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM

If you buy a king or or maybe even a queen size flannel flat sheet, you should be able to cut it into several sheets. You could probably buy a high quality one for less than buying flannel by the yard.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Found these flannel sheets at Overstock, and you can order just the flats:
http://www.overstock.com/search?keyw...rchtype=Header
Check the reviews for comments on quality.