Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Hats...

Blog Entries
    My 98 yr told MIL used to wear high heels (of course nylons), GLOVES, and hat to go grocery shopping! Imagine...anybody heard of that before? She is from Alberta prairie country. She never went to town in pants.

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid women would dress in heels, hats, gloves to go to the CITY (San Francisco). Then the hippies came and SF hasn't been the same since:)

My grandmother always "dresses" for shopping.

Blog Entries
    This grandmother dresses for shopping, too. My paint clothes to the paint store. Covered in thread snips to the quilting store. Gardening clothes to the garden center. I do try to clean up a little for planned tips, but no longer wear 4 inch heels to grocery shop. I did 44 years ago.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Shoot, I remember being sent off to Germany as a new bride in 1969, by my mother and grandmother from VA, in a suit and white gloves on the plane.
    Within 7 years I was wearing *very* short cut-off jean shorts, tank tops, and sandals in Colorado, LOL!! How time changes, sigh. 8-) Now people barely even dress for church.

Jan in VA

I remember dressing up to go to the movies and fly on a plane. My mom made sure we looked good before these activities.

Blog Entries
    My Grandmother never wore pants either. She always went out with a dress, nylons & low heals.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    And we dressed (cocktail) up for the shows in Las Vegas. We were there last month and most were in tank tops and shorts. In the 60's not only did I wear gloves to church but so did my 3 little girls. And of course, hats.

I grew up in NJ, suburb of NYC. My first interviews were with gloves, but no hat. Circa 1962. No pants to work. I was a legal secretary.

My Mother always dressed before Daddy came home from work...out of her houseclothes and into a pretty dress and usually platform heals. I don't think I saw one "dressy" outfit Easter Sunday at church....there were even women in capris...sorry don't like it. Dressing up for some occasions just shows respect..even for yourself.

Blog Entries
    I never saw my Grandmother or My Maw in pants they never wore them. My Maw never went anywhere without her bonnet. We have one picture of her outside without it on. Wow how times have changed.

My mom is 89 years old and she has never worn slacks. She complains that she's always cold so I bought her a sweat shirt and sweat pants. She wears the sweat shirt over her "housedress" and gave the pants back to me. She does use the Snuggli I bought her and of course her lap quilt. I haven't worn a skirt or dress in 10 yrs!

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    My dad said his mother used to do her housework with her hat on because she never knew when she would have to go out to deal with one of her sons getting in trouble down on the wharf or somewhere -- but I think he was exaggerating ;) Of course, she never wore trousers and neither did my other grandmother, even though she was quite a bit younger and more modern than Granny.

Granny used to come to town twice a year - once in the spring to get a new hat for summer and once in the fall to get a new winter hat. I have a picture of her pushing Dad in his pram ( 1920 - ish) and she is wearing this gorgeous big-brimmed hat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
    My 98 yr told MIL used to wear high heels (of course nylons), GLOVES, and hat to go grocery shopping! Imagine...anybody heard of that before? She is from Alberta prairie country. She never went to town in pants.
    Have pictures of my Mum with us two kids walking downtown . She and I ( at 5 yrs old) both had our hats and my brother had his short pants and knee sock.

This was in Victoria BC, Canada

They were doing that in the 50's.

My girlfriend was taking her son to the doctor and she was dressed from head to toe. She even wore white gloves.

Girls couldn't wear pants to school when I was in high school in the '60's, and guys couldn't wear jeans!

Blog Entries
    I graduated in 1960, and we got to wear pants on Friday to school, there was a girl in high school that wore a blouse and you could see her bra thru the blouse and she became the talk of the school. Wow.. how things have changed....

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    My Mother always dressed before Daddy came home from work...out of her houseclothes and into a pretty dress and usually platform heals. I don't think I saw one "dressy" outfit Easter Sunday at church....there were even women in capris...sorry don't like it. Dressing up for some occasions just shows respect..even for yourself.
    I do not go to church ,however I do have the BEST,BEST memories of getting a new Easter dress and little shinny shoes, if we couldn't buy a dress mom made one. I at least got a new Easter bonnet and little white gloves and sometimes a tiny little fancy purse came with the bonnet. My brother always got a new shirt and tie. To this day I remember how special it was to be looking our best for church ,and better than best on Easter. The point was NOT to outdo anyone but to be respectful to the lords house and as said above to care enough about yourself to be your best. I am not really that old (Soon 48) but do sometimes feel ancient because of the exceptional good values I was shown as well as taught. How fast the old ways are gone, I could go on and on, how about men removing their hat indoors? hmmmmmm times have changed for sure.

Off the subject of hats. I was in high school in the late 60's and girls were not allowed to wear pants of any kind to school.Well, my sister and I and a group of girls decided we wanted to wear pants to school AND DID !! We were rebels/hippies..whatever!! Anyways, after days or weeks of getting sent to the principals office . We finally won. It was very cold in the winter in Mass.There was really no good reason not to let us.

both of my Grandmas would not wear pants, only dresses or skirts. And they always looked great.

My grandmother never work pants, and my mother Never wore jeans, tho' she did wear pants as they were warmer. I can remember first starting to wear pants to high school in the early 70's.

When you look at old, old pictures way back when, no matter what job the men did, in their pictures, they were always in a shirt and tie, if not a jacket, too. Now, even some wedding pictures are 'casual'.

Being a young girl in the south I was raised in dresses, nylon stockings and heels. Even in high school, we were required to wear dresses or skirts---NO pants were allowed.
    When I went to work, I always worked in an environment that required dress code so still had to wear stockings, but could wear pants suits--still was not allowed jeans or casual. When I moved to Florida in 1979 and discovered a church in the keys that was casual, it almost blew my socks off---literally!

Times have certainly changed. I no longer wear stockings and only rarely wear a dress. I wore one this weekend and a hat to a tea and felt so dainty, that it makes me feel a little nostalgic for those grander days.

The latest trend seems to be women shopping wearing sleep pants and strappy tank tops. Sometimes, the creases in the pants suggest they just crawled out of bed and straight to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead
    And we dressed (cocktail) up for the shows in Las Vegas. We were there last month and most were in tank tops and shorts. In the 60's not only did I wear gloves to church but so did my 3 little girls. And of course, hats.
    We went to Vegas for 20th anniv and on a Wednesday evening DH was wearing his tux and I was wearing a black evening gown. We arrived for our dinner resi at Aureole and the maitre d told us how wonderful we looked, how no one dressed up anymore (and this was 9 years ago) and asked: "May I invite you to Swan Court?" We didn't know what that was but he walked us all the way through the restaurant and then went through a curtained doorway into a very dark, romantic area with tables spaced far apart and a door near each. Each door went to a patio area with a bench and chairs bordered by a stream with swans!

We proceeded to have the James Beard tasting menu and a nearly 4 hour dining experience that was absolutely fabulous.

Dressing up can pay off nicely - that was my 1st and only trip into the high-roller perk zone!

Quote Originally Posted by linken
    The latest trend seems to be women shopping wearing sleep pants and strappy tank tops. Sometimes, the creases in the pants suggest they just crawled out of bed and straight to the car.
    They probably did!! Sometimes I wonder if they look in a mirror before they leave the house - did someone tell them they look good like that!

I don't get all dressed up to go out, but I do try to look respectable in public.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast