Speaking of Hats...

Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....tights not invented....maybe I wore knee highs?????I THOUGHT they were tights. I'll have to look at the films again.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM

Very interesting. I'm 56 and we had play clothes, school clothes, and our "good clothes" when I was a kid. It was junior high school (in Maryland) when they started to let the girls wear jeans- one day week! Yeah, and now....well, I wore a dress to wedding 3 summers ago. Before that I don't remember the last time I wore a dress. Don't plan on buying any either. I think dresses are fine if you are comfortable in them, but for me right now I'll leave them to someone else. I do still wear gloves thou - in the winter so my hands stay warm!!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM

I am almost 62 now and we were not allowed to wear pants to school. We could wear pants under dresses in Washington state in the winter. When I started working (secretary) we could not wear pants until about 1972?, then we were allowed "pant suits" only. When my oldest was about 4 (1983) and he saw me go to work in pants, he would ask why I was wearing my "yucky" clothes to work because I still wore dresses, nylons and heels. Today both of my sons like to dress up. My youngest works in a technical library on a Navy base and dresses in shirt, tie, slacks and loafers every day, even though people around him wear shorts and flip flops. At his wedding last weekend, one girl showed up in a very thin knit dress that showed obviously no bra and a thong. Give me strength.

My sons, groom on left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-193791.jpe  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM

i never ever saw my grandmother in a pair of pants until after she was 90 yrs old.. she got herself a pair of the jeans with the flannel lining for winter cause her old house was cold...

she just kept asking why she waited so long...
Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM

I am 72. I remember wearing pants to school in the 6th grade. That would have made me about 10. No one ever said we couldn't wear jeans. I wore them all thru school. I did wear dresses or skirts with crinolin petticoats too. And bobby sox and saddle oxfords. In the 60's the place where I worked burned to the ground. We set back up in a cold cold warehouse. At that time we only wore dresses to work. One day I decided that it was just to darn cold to wear a dress so I wore a pair of wool pants. Other ladies started wearing them too. Then when the business was up and running and it wasn't cold any more, we just kept wearing pants. No one ever said anything about it so we just went on wearing them.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 PM

OMG...going to school....we had to wear green jumpers with beige blouses.......

My friends and I after graduation from high school went to the beach and had a small bond fire....just big enough to burn those 4 year outfits. The ashes went into a mason jar and the school emblem also went into the jar and was visible through the front ......

Held onto that for quite a few years.......MEMORIES !!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

this was normal ,and thinking about it was much better than the ghastly sloppy way today--------often ill fitting scruffy trousers/jeans/t shirt /plimsolls and AWFUL anoraks, thank you but no thank you. how standards have fell.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
My 98 yr told MIL used to wear high heels (of course nylons), GLOVES, and hat to go grocery shopping! Imagine...anybody heard of that before? She is from Alberta prairie country. She never went to town in pants.
Have pictures of my Mum with us two kids walking downtown . She and I ( at 5 yrs old) both had our hats and my brother had his short pants and knee sock.

This was in Victoria BC, Canada
I grew up in Victoria....and yes, I wore dresses. I think I was about 17 before I owned my first pair of pants. We were not allowed to wear even dress pants to school. Always wore a dress and hat to church. I loved Easter...my aunt and I would always make a trip to the milinery shop to buy the fixings to make our new Easter hats. I sometimes still wear a hat to church. And yes, as someone else said, I also don't like to see jeans, shorts, or capris in church.

Patti