Speaking of Hats...

Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 AM

I still like to wear hats. Have several that I wear now. Any one with hats for sale?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM

My mother too dressed up to go shopping, although I do not remember her wearing a hat. She wore her "Sunday Best" though. In her later years she would wear nice pants outfit.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

My husband's grandmother dressed for shopping too (she was born in 1912 and just passed in 2009); I can remember girls couldn't wear pants to school until 1969. When I was younger you had your play clothes and your school or work clothes. Now people (mostly women) wear their pjs and slippers to the store.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:53 PM

My mother always dressed up when I was growing up and later on in life. And my dad always wore a fedora. They were so classey and wonderful parents.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Times have certainly changed. I didn't see a lot of dresses Easter Sunday either, but I wore one. I remember as a child looking forward to that shopping trip for a New Spring Dress for Easter, and white shoes.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM

I wore matching hat,gloves and shoes to church in the 60's.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM

I'm 54 yrs old. We couldn't wear slacks to school until Junior high. We had a "sit-in" in front of the Principle's office to be able to wear jeans to school. No frayed hems, no holes, no fades or bleach marks.
Oh, how times have changed! Now people don't even get dressed to go out!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM

I have 8 mm film of my family at the Bronx Zoo in 1956. My mother is wearing a dress, a hat, gloves,high heals and a mink stole! I am eleven and am wearing a dress, full length coat with a matching hat and Mary Janes with tights, skincolored. Oh, yes, my mother also had a purse with a short handle which she carried on her arm. My father wore a suit, a tie and polished shoes.

When we came home from school, we took off our school clothing and put on play clothes.
I would love to find a happy medium between then and now. People do act as they dress. Sloppy clothing is usually sloppy attitude. I haven't worn a dress in years but I do wear clean, non "cut up" slacks and tailored tops.
I sent my children to school with school clothing and then they changed for play as well. They called me a dinosaur for doing that but I felt they acted better in better clothing. The girls in HS flipped over my son's style of dressing. Then I wasn't so bad!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM

When I was at school in the 50's we could not be seen out without our hats or gloves. Pants, no way, we had a uniform and had to stick religiously to it, even buying it from a certain outfitter.In the winter we had to wear lisle stockings. Tigts had not yet been invented.No shorts for sports ativities, only a divided skirt dress.I might add this was a catholic convent school. I know that the school now still has a uniform but much more relaxed, but I have still never seen any of the pupils in pants.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM

When I was at school in the 50's we could not be seen out without our hats or gloves. Pants, no way, we had a uniform and had to stick religiously to it, even buying it from a certain outfitter.In the winter we had to wear lisle stockings. Tigts had not yet been invented.No shorts for sports ativities, only a divided skirt dress.I might add this was a catholic convent school. I know that the school now still has a uniform but much more relaxed, but I have still never seen any of the pupils in pants.