Speaking of Hats...

Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
My Mother always dressed before Daddy came home from work...out of her houseclothes and into a pretty dress and usually platform heals. I don't think I saw one "dressy" outfit Easter Sunday at church....there were even women in capris...sorry don't like it. Dressing up for some occasions just shows respect..even for yourself.
The first time I went to church and saw a teenage grl in bib jeans I was upset and that to myself, "She's wearing jeans to church!" Then I thought, "But at least she is in church!" That was the end of that judgement.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sak658
I graduated in 1960, and we got to wear pants on Friday to school, there was a girl in high school that wore a blouse and you could see her bra thru the blouse and she became the talk of the school. Wow.. how things have changed....
Was that one of those "new" transparent white nylon blouses that came out then?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jad1044
EAster bonnets and new Easter dress and shoes was the highlight of my life as a kid... loved it when I was "old enough" for a hat - but those days passed real fast...

Remember the nylons with the black seam in the back? How horrible to keep straight, and the little rhinestones at the ankle in back? wow!!! felt like a princess with those, but they "scratched"... uncomfortable to an extent...

Once I reached 16 years old, hats were no longer worn by young girls - just the "old ladies" wore them.... now I'm an "old lady" and would love to go back to those days, but no one wears hats anymore, and in a small town, I'd feel like people would think I'm trying to be a goodie goodie twoshoes if I tried to wear a hat to church...

Oh for the good old days!
Once, for some reason I have forgotten, we ladies held a "Wear a Hat Day" in church - perhaps Mother's day?
It was an enormous amount of fun!
Why don't you ask?....
Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
This grandmother dresses for shopping, too. My paint clothes to the paint store. Covered in thread snips to the quilting store. Gardening clothes to the garden center.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by slk350
Off the subject of hats. I was in high school in the late 60's and girls were not allowed to wear pants of any kind to school.Well, my sister and I and a group of girls decided we wanted to wear pants to school AND DID !! We were rebels/hippies..whatever!! Anyways, after days or weeks of getting sent to the principals office . We finally won. It was very cold in the winter in Mass.There was really no good reason not to let us.
Ummm....during the end of WWII in the earlier late Fourties, we girls in college started wearing rolled up blue jeans, long bulky sweaters, to keep warm! We were the first to do that, although we were already wearing two color heavy shoes and bobby sox.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM

I still dress for services on Sunday. I just dont' understand women wearing jeans or slacks to Church. I think Sunday should be a day of getting a little dressed up. If not for yourself, then at least for your creator. Down here in Louisiana, I see a lot of people coming out of church on Sunday, or Saturdays in jeans.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM

My father was stationed in California during WW2 and our family moved there.

The fashions were a bit different from those on the east coast and when we returned home and my Mother was wearing a two piece slack suit...well, can you just imagine the looks that she got!!

Who wouda' thought?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by jad1044
EAster bonnets and new Easter dress and shoes was the highlight of my life as a kid... loved it when I was "old enough" for a hat - but those days passed real fast...

Remember the nylons with the black seam in the back? How horrible to keep straight, and the little rhinestones at the ankle in back? wow!!! felt like a princess with those, but they "scratched"... uncomfortable to an extent...

Once I reached 16 years old, hats were no longer worn by young girls - just the "old ladies" wore them.... now I'm an "old lady" and would love to go back to those days, but no one wears hats anymore, and in a small town, I'd feel like people would think I'm trying to be a goodie goodie twoshoes if I tried to wear a hat to church...

Oh for the good old days!
Once, for some reason I have forgotten, we ladies held a "Wear a Hat Day" in church - perhaps Mother's day?
It was an enormous amount of fun!
Why don't you ask?....
We still have a few ladies who wouldn't come to church with their head uncovered.....and some of their chapeau's are just beautiful.

I love hats, but don't wear them much.....
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 AM

You know what, there are days I feell like dressing up and days I dress down. I got to admire the one here in town who always wears a hat, of which soem are outrageous. I never wore a hat because my hair is to thin and hats always mashed it down. I wear some for civel war re-enactments that I make.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
My Mother always dressed before Daddy came home from work...out of her houseclothes ///// Dressing up for some occasions just shows respect..even for yourself.
When I was home with the kids I would freshen up before dinner and hubby came home...who wants to eat with the day's sweat on them from mowing grass or washing floors, etc.

I like that last statement... shows respect...even for yourself.

I think that you can easily dress UP and look good.
but if you dress DOWN - you may look terribly against what everyone else wears. I'd rather be a little overdressed than underdressed. :)