Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
speaking of my iron almost catching on fire... >

speaking of my iron almost catching on fire...

speaking of my iron almost catching on fire...

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 AM

My grandmother called & said she had to replace her frig, tv, washer & dryer, and was heading out to do it as all 4 appliances failed (told me they were old). I told her to STOP, and let me get my electrician over there, as my chance of winning the lottery was better than the chance that all 4 appliances just stopped running because they were old! My grandmothers cabin had the same problem that Retired Fire Chief mentioned....due to some wiring my grandfather had done years & years ago and had run under steps in the yard without conduit! Coating on the wiring failed and the amps going into the house went way up. The electrician said she was just minutes from having the entire place go up in flames. This place had the knob type wiring, too, built in the early 30's before there were even codes. Please have your wiring checked carefully by an electrician - its worth it to be safe!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Listen to Retired Fire Chief. Something doesn't sound right about all this. Please do it so everyone who cares about you and reads your post can breathe sighs of relief. Not trying to be melodramatic, but really, this is a concern.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 AM

yikes!! first time I heard of this!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I have a paper shredder but it's near the computer in the office. As far as the other issues mentioned on this board like Retired Fire Chief stated, have the electrical looked at. When I worked in a salon the power would dim and never go completely off. My dear dad told me a long time ago if that happens cut the power of and have it checked. I walked out side, hit the main switch, smelled smoke, looked up and saw the transformer on top of the electric pole was on fire. Called the fire dept. Was told that since the wiring was so old it wouldn't have taken much for the building to go up in flames.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

I agree you need the electric company to check everything out. Meanwhile, I would unplug anything in the house that is not in use. If you need something, plug it in, use it and then unplug it. With things turning on spontaneously, I worry about the safety of you being in the house, never mind sleeping in it. BTW, I love your comment at the bottom of your post. Mine is at the same count Joyce
Old 02-08-2014, 03:10 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion this one worked in reverse. Most paper shredders "notice" when something is poked into the slot. If the tablecloth was close enough to be eaten, it probably climbed into the mouth of the shredder first.

That said, I would have the wiring checked for sure.

I've also seen sewing machines that like to sew on their own ( a newer Singer is freshest in my mind) and it's possibly a short or else a problem with the board. Either way, you don't want defective electrical or electronic devices in your home.