Spelling

Old 12-17-2011, 04:27 PM

The abreviations that are used today are a language all their own. Yes I do have problems with it from time to time. Makes you wonder why so many are either lazy or don't have a good command of the english language. Which ever it can get frustrating.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
...... The word circled was defecate.
HaHaHa - very funny! Like others expressed, I too felt that the original poster was just curious if other folks had the same problem, I didn't read it as being judgemental.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
What I have a problem with is those abbreviations: LOL, DH, ISO etc. Maybe the Board could publish a list of those and their meanings.
I've seen a list of acronyms and their meanings before but I didn't know where to find it in this new format. I went searching on the board and found that Denise S wrote this on 10/29/2011. I hope this link works correctly when I do a "paste" of Denise's post:

Here is a link..
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-84708-1.htm
Old 12-17-2011, 05:49 PM

Hi! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has trouble with spelling. I seem to make a lot of mistakes then try to correct them and push the wrong thing and have two posts, so have't posted for a while. I was afraid of being laughed at. Glad to hear I was wrong
Old 12-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I don't speak hillbilly, but I do speak Range, which is quite a bit like speaking Yooper. And usually am on either my IPad or my iPhone, and have fat finger syndrome--LOL, my ring size is 4 1/2, so your fingers really don't need to be fat to have problems. And my computer is always changing my words to those which I do not intend. Often need to go back and edit after I've posted, due to those unintended changes resulting in total gibberish. We all have individual strengths and weaknesses, different first languages, differing levels of education. The only important thing is that we all love quilting and want to learn as much as we can about this wonderful craft/art.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
If I don't understand the abbreviations in the note, I reply to the sender and ask for the meaning. Most of the time my posts have words left out. I also have a problem with my mind working faster than my fingers when I'm typing an answer to a post or posting a new question.
I do this all the time; I'm always having to go back and fix words. When I was in college my speech professor said to the whole class when the issue of my speaking was too fast that in his experience when someone speeks so fast is because their mouths are trying to keep up with their minds because they are always thinking a head and are very intelligent; so I take this as a compliment. My intentions are always to spell correctly just as I'm sure we all wish that were true. Unfortunetly we are all human and rather it's in grammer, spelling or even quilting we all make mistakes and sometimes the best of spell checker isn't sure of what you are trying to say or spell. I deal with people on computers everyday and they type their passwords in wrong and get locked out of an application. When they start to appoligize I tell them that's ok that my fingers don't always listen to what my mind is telling them either. So I will now appoligize if I've made any spelling or grammer mistakes here but it's now time to get off of work and my mind is racing a head to something new. I hope that all of you on this board have a great holiday and please be safe and say a kind word to the next person you see or speak too. Happy Holidays
Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM

I know a couple of wks ago I had eyelid surgery and you had to use the antibiotic cream on the eyelids to make sure they healed well when it melted my eyes were so blurry I couldn't even dare to drive. I also know that when I tried to come one the board I could hardly read or type any info it was awful especially when I have good vision but I'm sure there may be others that can't see so good, or a medical condition or they were not lucky enough to have enough schooling to spell good. I know from working in the Dr's office there are many things including people who couldn't fill out the forms and were to embarassed to say that and I realized it and asked if they needed help. I think we need to be understanding that not everyone is lucky enough to have the education some of us have. Sue