Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Spots Returned on Carpet After Shampooing >

Spots Returned on Carpet After Shampooing

Spots Returned on Carpet After Shampooing

Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately when there is a spill of any kind it doesn't just affect the carpet. It also affects the padding underneath. If you don't get the padding cleaned as well, the spot in the padding will surface when stepped on like a sponge. Will keep returning. Some shampoos are very hard to remove and act like a magnet. You just about have to cordon off the area until it is completely dry and that can take a couple of days in a very dry climate.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 AM

The fellow who cleans my carpet said you need to buy a carpet with nylon fibers as it cleans better.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 AM

Best thing to clean spots out of carpets (of course test a hidden area first) cover the spot with baking soda then pour vinegar right on the baking soda.. It has a foaming action that will lift the stain right up out of the carpets it cleans and deodorizes as well... I have used that method on many many types of carpet stains and it works like a charm.. I have found so so many uses for baking soda and vinegar... If you have a clogged drain.. Pour baking soda in about a cup then pour a cup of warm vinegar in and plug the drain immediately the foaming action along with the warm vinegar will help clear a drain.. Just some tried and true methods I have used that seems to work.. Hope it helps.. Good Luck..
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Default Carpet Cleaning

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
My daughter moved into a house a year ago that has off white carpeting in the family room. She has little kids, 5 & 2, and of course it gets very dirty. I shampooed it for her and it looked great. Within a few hours though the spots in the heavy traffic area are back. I have hardwood floors so I don't deal with carpets. Does anyone have experience with this?
Yes, unfortunately I learned the hard way. I have my own Hoover carpet cleaner. After much trial and error, I learned that when using "carpet Shampoo" it leaves a residue on your carpet which actually attracts more dirt.
I started using white vinegar (about 1 cup) and hot water in my carpet cleaner and I no longer have that problem.
The carpets come out very clean and no residue is left over. The vinegar also deodorizes the carpets also. I will NEVER use carpet shampoo again.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 AM

We have the same problem & I like the "vinegar & soda" idea. I have used it to unclog drains myself & it is great for that.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 AM

I use VINEGAR! Let me tell you that I am a coffee-holic and carry my coffee where ever I go! I have a tendency to spill - vinegar straight rubbed into the spot, white towel and a heavy object set on top and poof it is gone! I do this on a lot of different spots that appear on my carpets and it works great. When I clean my carpets with my Hoover Rug Machine I only use vinegar water, no soap, and am always pleased. (Got new carpet this year through out the house and my husband makes me walk around with my coffee cup with a tight closed lid, the nerve, lol.)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Hello Ladies,
I'm glad to hear about the vinegar tips for cleaning carpets. Will be fine on my carpets since they are old & I won't have to
worry about it much, Maybe will have to do it all over. I have a question about using on other types of rugs. A woman I work for has many Navaho rugs through out the house & 2 dogs. Sometimes there are "accidents". Would either the rubbing alcohol or the baking soda/vinegar work on these??? Some of the rugs are old, some are new & I'd really like to be able to spot clean. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Vickie
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 AM

I agree with Sandy, dry cleaning products are the best but I hate carpet because you can never really clean it, steaming and shampooing only drive the dirt deeper and it is never completely pulled out. The dry products seems to catch hold of the soils to be vacuumed.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Only enzyme eating products will remove the dog accident odor for good if you can't deep clean it. Dogs can smell the same spot so they use that area over and over. They are easy to find in a pet store or online.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

My daughter has white carpet and you are right...it is hard to keep clean and once stained forget it. It will always have a dark shadow area where the stain is. She started using a table spoon of bleach in her cleaner and it seems to have helped...She also spot cleans with oxy clean laundry spot remover.