Sshhhhhh - domestic sewing

Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbm
my son moved out 2 years ago. there are shirts hanging in the closet- I keep feeling them and thinking they would be awesome in a quilt. I wonder how long before they are officially "abandoned"?

I have used shirts and even bought some 'boxers', bc they were just the right color for blocks, lol!
I bought myself some of those, "tap pants", you know, the ones that craaawl...(and don't wear now)...
had several brand new pairs.
After looking at an online site, about reno's with children's clothing, I took a pair and turned upside down and made a leisure bra.
Hubby threatens to tell everyone that I wear my underwear on my head, just because the altered crotch area is now two shoulder straps!
Go ahead.
I'll tell that the only place your drawers wear out is in the b***hole area :lol:
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
My DH mentioned a pair of missing pajama bottoms the other day. He doesn't know what happened to them. Should I remind him he gave them to me about a year ago to hem???
never, ever admit anything. lol!
you want to get the rest of us in trouble?
Fix them, put them away where they belong, go digging and say, hey, I thought you said you couldn't find these. they're right here.:wink:
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 AM

My pushy neighbor asked me to repair some shorts she had that were patchwork (really gaudy). One of the seams of the patchwork came undone because the fabric was so cheap and it had simply frayed and come apart. I fixed it the best I could, and it didn't look bad. I put the shorts in plastic bag and hung it on her front door knob while she was at work one day. She never said a single word about it. Never again.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM

My husband is about 5'7" so most pants have to be shortened. And he usually wants the legs abit narrower. I found a great way to make narrow legs and take up some of the hips (which men don't have!). I take the pants to the serger and do a 4-thread serging stitch from the bottom of the inside seam almost all the way to the crotch and then make a half-circle and turn around and stitch back down the other leg to the bottom. Then I turn them up and let him try them on before hemming. Jeans with a natural inside seam work great, and he loves them. My only other sewing for him is to let out the waist on some pants he has almost outgrown!!! Now back to quilting!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by bj
He's lucky you didn't cut them up and use them in a quilt :) :) Men are so trusting!
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 AM

My hsuband often whines that he needs something mended. Then he asks if I know anybody who can do that for him? I do the mending just to get it out of my sewing room and out of the way of my quilting. I don't think mending counts as actual sewing.