Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
standard, stick, and rotary party lines >

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

I am there too! What about our parents TV remote? At my house it was called, 'Sharon'. How about yours?
at our house it was called Ruth or Mike (mine and my brother's name!!![/quote]

At my house it Mike,Sharon,Kathy,Dan or Tim. Remember the clicker TV remotes? I didn't know there was such a thing as color TV until I was at Grandma & Grandpa's house, they had a new color TV!
Sharon W.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Funny!! Funny!!
My 13 yr old had never heard of 'rotary' phones either. These kids today..... don't know what they have missed, huh?!!!
Standard does go back a ways. I'm 67 & I do remember them. U could even skip, I think, 2nd sometimes.

thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ljptexas
Funny!! Funny!!
My 13 yr old had never heard of 'rotary' phones either. These kids today..... don't know what they have missed, huh?!!!
Standard does go back a ways. I'm 67 & I do remember them. U could even skip, I think, 2nd sometimes.

thumbup: :thumbup:
That's true! And when the engine hit a certain pitch you knew you could shift without the clutch. I, also, remember our rotary phone number....Taylor 5709 and my cousin's started with Baldwin. Oh, the memories....remember walking a mile to grade school and having to go home a mile for lunch and back to school and then home again in the evening. We used public transportation until I was a freshman in high school and then Dad got a brown and apple green Chevy....don't think anyone ever liked the color but it was available immediately and he didn't have to wait.
I remember collecting soda pop bottles for the $0.5 you got at the store for each one returned until I had a quarter and that would buy me an Archie or Donald Duck comic, a double decker ice-cream cone and a candy bar. I remember almost never going to the doctor...Mom took care of everything...and when you needed a doctor he came to your house. What a novel idea!!!!....no spreading of your germs to 25 people sitting in a waiting room. I remember air raid sirens and volunteers walking along the streets yelling , "Lights out. All lights out." I remember newsboys standing on the corner yelling, "Hear ye,hear ye, Read all about it! The war is over" :Oh, my goodness, what these kids have missed. I loved every minute of it. I'm 73 years young and proud to say that what others read about, I lived.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM

lol......mulberry was ours...........
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM

My grandmother had an old rotary dial phone, and was on a party line. She would be talking on the phone and she would tell someone, I will be off in 2 minutes. It was an old black phone, with some sort of fabric type chord. I also remember when I was about 11 years old that one of my birthday gifts was a transistor radio.. I was so happy to have that miniature radio to listen to the songs when I was in my bedroom at night and try to turn the volume low so my parents would not hear it. There were no earplugs at that time to keep the noise down. This would have been in the mid to late 50's.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM

When we moved to Colorado Springs in 1951 from Ohio, I was 10. Oooooppppps gave my age away. We were on a party line and had to tell the operator what number we wanted. When receiving a call we had to count the short and long rings til it reached our special ring. I have driven standard on the column, stick on the floor and of course automatic. My grandchildren do not remember a time without TV, cable, computers, video games, cell phones and lots of other things. In a way it is sad.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Life was a lot easier way back then. There were no stores open on Sundays, and people visited you in your house or you visited them after church on Sunday. Sundays were for families or going on drives., all stores closed mid afternoon on Saturdays. Doctors did make house calls. Another thing I remember growing up, people didn't use credit cards because they didn't exist. They lived within their means and they seemed to be happier. If you didn't have it, you couldn't spend it. Maybe we need to bring some of that back, and teach Washington D.D. to live within their means also.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 PM

our telephone number was SHeepshead 3-1747 (sheepshead bay, brooklyn) and our first car was a green dodge in 1947. we had the first one on the block. never had a parking problem.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM

My neighbors granddaughter had to use her rotary phone but couldn't get it to work. She keep pushing the whole where the number was but nothing would happen. She thought it was an old kind of push button.

Mine was GLenview 1-2034
St. Paul,MN was Capital.
the good old days. I do like not having to get up to change the channel on the TV.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM

we always designated the shift by "three on the tree" or "four on the floor". once in a while (back in the dark ages) there would be a five on the floor, complete with "granny gear". i think there is some dirt in the garden that is older than i am, but i'm not too sure...

hubby's family and my grandparents had "crank" phones in their places. we'd crank the number of "rings" to call someone--and if it was someone you were curious about, you answered the ring, too. no point in trying to keep secrets--small towns were just that way. and we were the fancy city folks, with our rotary dial phone.