The Stella Awards!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Did you actually look these up? These sound like the same fake ones that have been circulating for years. I know you have the Stella part wrong because it wasn't in NM and she wasn't driving, her grandson was.
Ya know...I didn't look them up...but I don't doubt that either these incidents or ones like them have happened...I've seen it in the local papers from time to time...and regardless of where Stella is/was...that's a well known, true story, and it was totally out of line that she was awarded ANY money for her injuries...for crying out loud...who puts a cup of scalding hot coffee between their legs and travels? You can't tell me that she didn't know it was hot coffee...

I've actually seen news stories where homeowners were successfully sued over injuries caused to men who were breaking and entering their homes in the middle of the night..with who knows what intentions?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 AM

that is SO CRAZY to have to pay a someone stealing from you!!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 AM

OMG!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM

OMG!!! Could I ever go on a rant about these!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Did you actually look these up? These sound like the same fake ones that have been circulating for years. I know you have the Stella part wrong because it wasn't in NM and she wasn't driving, her grandson was.
Ya know...I didn't look them up...but I don't doubt that either these incidents or ones like them have happened...I've seen it in the local papers from time to time...and regardless of where Stella is/was...that's a well known, true story, and it was totally out of line that she was awarded ANY money for her injuries...for crying out loud...who puts a cup of scalding hot coffee between their legs and travels? You can't tell me that she didn't know it was hot coffee...

I've actually seen news stories where homeowners were successfully sued over injuries caused to men who were breaking and entering their homes in the middle of the night..with who knows what intentions?
Here's the whole story of Stella suing McDonald's. The jury was trying to send McDonald's a message which they had previously refused to listen to so don't blame Stella.

http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm
Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 AM

It has, unfortunately, become the norm in our society to blame everyone else for our actions. This is why everything we buy has so many ridiculous warnings on them (i.e. don't use the lawn mower as a hedge trimmer and don't use the toaster under water) because some idiot has done it and then sued because nothing is ever our fault. Had I been on any of these juries, the plaintiffs wouldn't have gotten a cent. Sometimes we need to take the consequences of our own choices. I've been in exactly the same situation as the coffee lady, only it was a carton of egg drop soup from the Chinese takeout place. Neglecting all common sense, I put it between my legs for the ride home. My dad was driving, hit the brakes suddenly and it spilled all over me and it was beyond hot! So who was at fault here? ME and no one else because I made the choice to put something hot on my lap and didn't properly secure it. It's time for all of us to step up and take responsibility for our choices in life.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM

The best warning I've seen on a product was on a chainsaw. It read, "Do not attempt to stop chain with hands or genitals." You've gotta wonder what idiot did that so they had to put the warning on there!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Ok, it's true. Our court system is BROKEN. Can I sue the U.S. Judicial System for being out of their minds? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 PM

OMG......LOL LOL LOL LOL

Oh these are so funny. Over here in the UK, you get £5,000 if you have your legs cut off!!!!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 AM

THE WORLD IS UPSIDE DOWN!!!! Legitimate suits are dismissed - and THESE are awarded Big Bucks??? What the H---!