Stepmother gift ideas?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM

One of the greatest days of my life was when my step-daughter, at 18, called and thanked me for being the "mean mom" on the block that made them help with grocery shopping, sorting laundry, and obey a curfew and a bedtime when they were young. She said that she still remembered me telling them, "All canned goods are on sale once a month. When something you like is on sale buy a months worth and it will last you until it's on sale again." and "If you separate the whites from the darks so that you can use bleach your whites will always look white." I cried and told her that I didn't think I'd hear that for at least another 10 or 15 years. I only had them 2 1/2 years while their mother dealt with some personal issues. Sometimes you don't have to do anything other than say "Thank you."
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Another idea would be to make her one of those lovely totes I'm seeing so many pictures of on here.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

How about a framed plaque of some sort saying how wonderful of a step mother she is? Or if she likes hand made totes, maybe one of those?

I too am a step mom, and I love my step girls and they treat me like a queen! Their mom lives near us and we get along just fine as well.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

I am a step mom to a now 20 year old, who was 10 when I came into Daddy's life. Since she lives with us, I have been her mom 1/2 of her life. She hates when I tell her what to do, but she appreciates all of support I have been to her. She used to make her mom homemade gifts, but her mom would always just sorta looked at them and rolled her eyes in front of her. However, nothing is more precious to me that the gifts she has made me. I always proudly display them. I have some beautiful ceramic bowls and other gifts she made in highschool. My favorite is a picture frame with her picture in it. I actually cried when she gave me that gift. She laughed and called me a cry baby. But then when I gave her a quilt for her new full sized bed when she turned 16, she was the one to cry.
I say give her a homemade gift with her interests in mind, favorite color, something that tells her that you know her likes.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:00 PM

since you love and respect her, why not give her whatever you would give your mom? i'm sure she and your dad would love and respect that gesture.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 AM

being a stepmom I've had to walk that tightrope of being careful what I say to not tick off the "real" Mom.

I thought the girls and I were close and always wondered about my step son. Well- he and I get along the best- he refers to me as his mom. I joke and say I'm the stepmonster but he corrects me.

If any of my kids made me a table runner I would be in the yard doing cartwheels! That being said- I am just so happy my dd and 1 stepd are now sewing and quilting. That is a thank you enough for me.

So all the ideas listed are great ideas. Thanks for being a great "bonus" kid- that's what I call mine. As much as I still don't like the things their Mom does, I am appreciative she had them so they could be part of my family.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 AM

I agree with butterflywing. Treat her like you own mom. I am a step-mom too and I so appreciate whatever the girls do for me. "There are no steps in our house....we live in a single story home".
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 AM

I would have a look at what she really likes in colours, and make something in those colours. My MIL loved florals and pinks, not my taste, but I made her a pink jumper with flowers embroidered on it - she wore it alot. Even when I wasnt there
Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 PM

How about making a set of pillowcases with her favorite flowers in the fabric or something else that is of interest to her (bingo, cooking, books,etc.)?

Lots of fun to look for novelty fabrics to suit people in our lives!

Sue
Old 04-24-2010, 05:01 PM

As a stepmom to our oldest child, I appreciated any gift. But I do love hand made gifts the best. I always called my SD my bonus child. I've been her SM for 40 years now.