Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stocking Stuffers for college kids? >

Stocking Stuffers for college kids?

Stocking Stuffers for college kids?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

CASH lots and lots of cash they are in college.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned

I get the celo bags at joann's and I make soup in a bag not soup in a jar. the 1 that is the best for college kids is cream of potato it's like homemade cup a soup. all they have to do is microwave it. If you want the recipe let me know I will post it. you could include a mug in the stocking, it makes a nice stocking stuffer.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Lots of good ideas!! OH and yes... cash! (ugh!) and rolls of quarters for the laundry and vending!! My daughter plays soccer in college... so bandaids, tylenol or aleve are great ideas! School mascot is an owl... so maybe a little stuffed owl too! : )

Just thought of car air freshners too!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I get the celo bags at joann's and I make soup in a bag not soup in a jar. the 1 that is the best for college kids is cream of potato it's like homemade cup a soup. all they have to do is microwave it. If you want the recipe let me know I will post it. you could include a mug in the stocking, it makes a nice stocking stuffer.
Oh YES!! Please PM me the recipe. Both of my kids would love that. Heck... they love ramen noodles, and I'm sure this is WAY better!!

OOohh... just thought of calendar date book too! For the new year!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
For years, the stockings have always been my kids favorite part of Christmas gifts... but as they are older now, both in college... its getting harder to find fun things to put in there. And expensive, too!! What do you put in stockings for your college age crowd? Boys seem to be especially tough!

My daughter gets chap stick (She loves Burts Bees), hand lotion, socks, maybe a special soap, chocolate, gum, maybe a fun marker or pen for school....

My son... maybe a pair of wild boxer shorts, socks, baseball cards (he collects), a little puzzle or game if I find something small enough to fit.

For both... gift card to movie theater, gas card or fast food gift certificate.

What else? Any good ideas out there?!!
I have made my college kids pillowcases for the season, like just one for valentine day, both boy and girl. they liked them and you could roll it up small to get in the stocking. Blessings
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM

Please put in the receipe for the instant soup. blessings
Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Pillowcases! That's another great idea Jackie! I haven't made them in a long time!!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Wow, lots of great ideas. My stepson always said that he looked forward to the stockings because I came up with such funny or unusual things that he had never seen before. We're cutting back also and haven't done a stocking for the big kids only the grandkids.

I always get the chocolate candy that is each kids favorite. I buy a small gift that's nice (wallet or money clip for the guys and manicure set for the girls). Then I would get gadgets from the kitchen specialty stores that were unusual and nice for the girls and something silly for the guys.

Here's a website I use for the silly stuff http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/ I also like this one for the older girls gift ideas http://www.solutions.com/

Happy hunting.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
Lots of good ideas!! OH and yes... cash! (ugh!) and rolls of quarters for the laundry and vending!! My daughter plays soccer in college... so bandaids, tylenol or aleve are great ideas! School mascot is an owl... so maybe a little stuffed owl too! : )

Just thought of car air freshners too!
You are going to need bigger stockings!!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for those websites Stitchingmemories. Thank you all... this has been a really fun thread and has cheered me up on this grey rainy day. I've had this miserable cold since before Thanksgiving and have a headache from coughing, etc, etc... UGH!! And this thread and all your fun ideas made me feel better! Thanks!!