Storm damage at home

Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 AM

If in doubt..... check it out with the BBB. This sounds kind of shady to me. And then we all wonder why our Insurance rates keep going up.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Years ago we had wind damage to our mobile home. A large tree fell on the kitchen/dining area. We called the insurance company. They came out and wrote checks out for the yard clean up and the repairs to the house. Then we called our own tree service and they cleaned up the yard and stacked the wood.
The last guy sounds like one of those scammers who crawls out from under a rock after a major disaster. Don't trust the man as far as you can throw him.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM

'Short answer here..Yes, it is wrong. Besides that, if he'll take advantage of the insurance company, he'll take advantage of you
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
my first call would be the insurance company, for sure. if they aren't offered the opportunity to see and assess the damage, i'd wonder whether they'd cover it at all.
That was the first call I made and an insurance adjuster will be out here in a couple days. I need to know where I stand before I commit to anything. They will cover branches on the house but not removing the tree.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM

When I had branches on the house after an ice storm the insurance would take care of the branches after the deductable, but would not take the rest of the tree down. Furthermore, if I didn't take the tree down and it came down on its own or more branches came down at a later date, future damage would NOT be covered by my insurance since they considered the tree damaged at the first incident. I would see what the insurance will settle for and see how much work you can have done then, perhaps some of the work you can do yourselves? (like cut the smaller branches and limbs) and then use the insurance money to do the rest? (the heavy stuff and possibly the tree itself)

I've never had any contractor of any sort refuse to write an estimate, I would steer clear of that guy!! And the guy who wants to take the tree down before the adjuster gets there, well he's going to want paid before the adjuster gets there too!! He knows they're not going to pay for the whole thing and you're going to be out the money!! Can you say FRAUD??

Tree removal is very expensive, depending on the size of the tree, and unless you want the whole thing on your roof, find a reputable bonded and insured company to do it!!!

Life has a way of throwing a curve at you now and then!! At least nothing came through the roof? and if it did, no one was in the house to get hurt :D Good luck. Mary
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM

We have a large tree down also. However we were really blessed as it only got the back steps that were in the process of being replaced...boards split at the ends of the boards where the nails went in. Top of the tree sheared off at rooftop level and landed right between house, garage and small RV in driveway, cradled BBQ grill! Expense to replace steps is less than our deductable, so not going to file insurance claim. We've cut off most of the small branches already and have a friend who may be able to get the bigger stuff to use for the wooden stools/chairs he makes. Wish he'd hurry up and come see if he can do it though!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM

Call insurance company first, take lots of pictures, and more pictures, write down everything that was or is damaged including value of the trees, call insurance company again if necessary. The insurance company may have someone that they recommend or keep on a retainer so to speak. Don't let anyone touch those trees unless bonded, insured, and a contract, but again, only after talking to insurance company.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Talk to insurance co. bonded, licensed etc. Some insurances policys will cover tree removal. Did need some work done once the price quoted was crazy high, because insurance was paying, contractor said they had a book they went by for prices, similar to mechanics could take 20 minutes to do but because book says 2 hrs thats the charge.... what do you do ??? Get out the chainsaw, after pictures of course, hate to have underlying damage. Good Luck !! :)