Storm damage at home

Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

We were on vacation last week and came home late Sunday to two large tree branches on our house. I'm talking huge. They rest from one side of the house to the other. Yikes. I called the insurance company and started getting estimates. That's been an eye opener. The first one said "I'll do it for $600.00 but I don't write out estimates. I just take out trees." OK?????? The second one wrote out an estimate for $950.00 and were very nice and professional. The third one called this morning (they were here when I was gone last night...talked to DD). Said he would take out the whole tree (after removing the branches there won't be much left.) for $2000.00 and would write it up like it was just removing the large branches, but we had to do it before the insurance adjuster got here. If we did it quick he would never know and have to pay the claim. I would love to have the whole tree out but that just feels wrong. What do you think?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Aw, so sorry about the mess. I HATE giving advice, cuz, who knows, I could be VERY wrong, but it DOES sound shady. Perhaps he doesnt have insurance or something. If it were me, it would worry me that he wants to do it FAST, lol!
Good luck!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Thank God no one was hurt and it wasn't worse. I know what you mean about 'not feeling right'. I don't like shady deal in anything.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM

Go with your gut and who you believe you can trust. Also check the better business bureau for complaints and make sure they're licensed and have insurance. All are very important!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM

My DIL is an insurance agent. It would probably be better for you to let the agent see the damage "as is" and let them assist you with the entire repair process.

So sorry you have to go through this.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
My DIL is an insurance agent. It would probably be better for you to let the agent see the damage "as is" and let them assist you with the entire repair process.

So sorry you have to go through this.
I agree with Connie on this one. Better to be completely open and honest, then you don't have to worry about it.
I so sorry to hear about all this! Where do you live? I'm in Minnesota, and we had quite the storm go through over the weekend as well!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 AM
JJs
Banned

make absolutely sure that the tree service is licensed and INSURED.... because if they make more damage - too bad if they aren't.

I'm wondering about the one that "doesn't write out estimates" - that means he can present a bill for any amount - "What estimate?, I never said I'd do it for $600".... see how that works. Don't even present that one to the insurance.
The second one sounds like the most likely but do make sure of the insurance/bonded/ or whatever

our daughter and former SIL had their own tree service, our grandson and his half-brother have a service, my best friend's husband has a tree service....
get everything in writing, AND make sure they are insured..

did I mention to make sure the company is insured?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Our insurance company has a list of reputable people they use for some of their stuff. I would call them and see if they recommend someone. I have been very pleased with everyone that my insurance company has recommended.

The insurance company does need someone to come out and see the damage or they probably won't cover it.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator

my first call would be the insurance company, for sure. if they aren't offered the opportunity to see and assess the damage, i'd wonder whether they'd cover it at all.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Better safe than sorry. I would do what feels right. You are the one that has to sleep at night.