A stove question

Old 08-17-2013, 03:54 AM

I have a self cleaning gas oven and I love it. The instructions say not to use oven cleaner on it. My stove has really been dirty and it always comes out clean. I agree with others that the only down side is the extreme heat that is dispersed in the kitchen.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 AM

if you conntact the service dept of that brand they are usually very helpful---also the extention agent in you county office maybe able to help---this is the road I usually have when I have a problem and have allways had excellent results---a local appliance store should be able to help too
Old 08-17-2013, 07:33 AM

My stove's instructions said never use oven cleaner on the surfaces. If you must wipe, just use hot soapy dish water. Maybe you can get a manual online.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM

I am like one of the ladies above with the self-cleaning questions--I always hated the smell of using the self-cleaning features when I was young and thought I had to have every feature available on an appliance. The last stove we bought, the self-cleaning option was not available, we bought it anyway and I have never been sorry. My oven is sometimes a little dirty, but a little Dawn poured into the bottom when the oven is still warm, has worked for me for something like 10 years now. I lose a couple of fingernails, and it takes a few days of Mary Kay Night Cream to get my hands well, but that's OK--we don't party so much anymore anyhow.....
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM

My oven is built into my wall. The first time I used the self-cleaner on it some electronic sensors burned out. I think the problem is with it being built in and no way for the high heat to escape. My son put the new parts on so that saved me some money but the parts were over $100. I won't be self cleaning again.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I can't use the self cleaning on my stove, nor the oven cleaner. I have a pet cockatiel and both can/will kill pet birds, I got to use it once before I got a bird. Now I just wash it off. After using the oven several hours - over time, the burned on stuff turns really dry and easy to remove.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM

I have never really cared much for the self-cleaning feature on my oven. In my opinion, it doesn't clean very well, just burns everything to a crisp and cements it to the oven, which makes it harder to clean. My mother-in-law thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread and can't fathom why I don't like it. She and I go round and round and round.... of course, we usually have several glasses of wine under our belts and have already been playing Rummikub for hours, swapping lies and insults....

I use the fume-free spray on oven cleaner.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

The manual for my oven says not to use oven cleaner. I've never had to though. I love my self cleaning oven. It works great. Nothing left but a little gray ash to wipe away. I use the cycle once a month, the day of guild meeting is my oven cleaning day. LOL. I don't wait until the oven gets dirty, that makes it smell when it's cleaning. What I do dislike with a passion is the oven door with the glass window. It's impossible to keep the glass from getting streaks between the panes.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by ufoqueen View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can buy oven cleaners made especially for self-cleaning ovens.
That is right. They have oven cleaner for self cleaning ovens. I use it in the summer also.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 AM

Mine has a lock out button when its self cleaning. The oven gets so high of a temp, that's how it cleans by burning the dirt off. It takes quite awhile to clean and yes, your kitchen will get really hot. I agree, I normally use oven cleaner to at least spot clean in the summer and then do a good cleaning when its cold outside and I heat up the house.