Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Strange Flowers

Strange Flowers

I was sitting in my secret garden and looked up into the rain tree and saw these strange things that look like butterflies from that distance. I called my husband and we couldn't figure out what they were. We got the neighbors and they had a couple that had fallen in their yard. These grow on a vine and the vine had entwined itself around the rain tree, all the way to the top.

On closer inspection, it looks like a ball headed guy lol or something out of a horror movie. It looks like it has a mouth also. The wings are like a leopard colors, when you turn it over it looks like? Does anybody know what it is. It must be some sort of parasite as it lives on another plant life. Then Milly saw me taking pics of it and she wanted to see, nosy little creature that she is lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I forgot to add Milly lol,,she's not blind, she is just 3...but the light just hit her in the eyes so you see her eye lights..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't know what they are but I would take them to the garden center. Could they be poisonous to humans or pets????
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Strange, but beautiful!

Power Poster
    ​Chasing Hawk, it looks like you nailed it. Strange but wonderful exotic plant!

Ummm, Looks like Millie is stepping around fabric bits???

I think I would call a local botanical garden....they may want some of the seeds.....A very unusual tropical plant....

That's it CH....isn't nature wonderful?

Honchey, Milly is one interfering little dog lol. She is standing in my spot when I cut fabric lol.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We often have this and another vine plant through many of the trees down here. It eventually dies off. The birds like to eat and drop seeds and the wind also carries. It's a very fast moving/traveling growing vine. Pull them out of any of your smaller low level gardens. They will choke. That's been our experience.

Blog Entries
    My sister lives in Melbourne and these are her privacy fence.She refers to them as Morning Glories on steroids. When she bought the house 2 yrs ago there was a small patch and now it has taken over 40ft of her fence line. She wants rid of them-they are too invasive.

I've seen them here in S. Florida and they're called Dutchman's Pipe.....believe they are carnivorus...

I had a Dutchman's pipe about 10 years ago. It had tiny flowers . I had it on a trellis at the end of my porch; for privacy. Then it started growing in my garden beds 10 feet away and choking my other plants. I cut it down and sprayed weed killer on the cut, but I am still seeing shoots coming up all over. It is very invasive.

I think Chasing Hawk nailed it. When I first saw the pix I thought it was some kind of a fungi, mushroom that grows on trees like in our neck of the woods. Very interesting.

WOW, those are really strange.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Eerie but unusual looking...if they're vine...they will take over your garden probably. But it's pretty.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !