Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Strange how much life has changed >

Strange how much life has changed

Strange how much life has changed

Old 04-24-2021, 10:28 AM

Default Strange how much life has changed

I found this article, it is quite a reality shock to some. How much the smartphone and tablets have taken over people's lives......
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/p...=pocket-newtab
https://www.removed.social/united-states
I personally dislike my smartphone, I resisted for so long but this covid mess we had to get one. So we could have virtual Doctors visits,.95% of the time it sits in a basket,
Old 04-24-2021, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I wish I wasn’t so dependent on the smart phone as I am. I use it to check the internet sites I follow most closely. So I end up schlepping it around with me everywhere.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:49 AM

There are several things that impacted my life. Other than the usual things, like marriage and children, etc, my cell phone and my iPad are right at the top. I could never have scheduled our Covid vaccinations without first using my iPad to see who had doses. And then checking to see when the facilities had appointments available. It’s easier now, but not in January. It’s a tough choice: my DH or my iPhone. Just kidding. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Old 04-24-2021, 12:19 PM

I rarely even know where my smartphone is, but until recently, my smartphone was telling google several times a second where I was.

So I just bought a de-googled phone - no spyware, no tracking, no contact tracing apps - I can phone, text and take amazing pictures, the only things I want from a phone. The battery has lasted eight days and is only down to 23%.

And now, only my Sienna reports my location to google.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:00 PM

Recently our various doctors' offices have started contacting us through our smartphone. I told at least one to use our "landline" for contact but not sure they did that.
They're texting all the time before appointments.
Annoying as I don't carry it around with me and so end up with messages I have to deal with. We have phones all over the house to answer but now they are not using that number. May try to change them.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:33 PM

We gave up our land line years ago. Don’t miss it. When we our changed internet/cable provider, they wanted to put a land line in for free, free to install and use. I said no thanks. We would never use it.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:55 PM

what phone did you get polyparrot?
Old 04-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I only give out the number to our land line. I mainly use my phone to text Daughter and Granddaughter. When I live the house my cell phone is usually laying on the dining room table like always. Not a big deal for me.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
what phone did you get polyparrot?
Ironically, it's the Google Pixel 4. Completely de-googled, except for the brand name. I bought it from Rob Braxman, the internet privacy expert.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

Oh how I wished I had a cell phone when my kids were small. I was afraid to take road trips with them in case of a car break down, stuck at the mercy of strangers. I always thought of the cell phone as a safety device and still do. I use my Iphone for a phone. I don't go onlne. I will receive pics from the kids and facetime.