Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Strep throat.....Strep carrier? >

Strep throat.....Strep carrier?

Strep throat.....Strep carrier?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM

My daughter has been told she is a strep carrier. She ALWAYS tests positive for strep regardless of how she feels. She gets sick from strep on occaision, but only in conjunction with another illness. She has "strep breath" all the time. That's a joy for a teenage girl!

Our doctor told us a common treatment for strep carriers is to remove the tonsils. This won't work for her because she was born without them.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 AM

i would say get him on vitamin C garlic and echancia to buld up his immune system. the drugs will get rid of the bug but leave his imune systen just as weak or weaker than befor he got sick you need to buld him up and lots of fresh fruit and vegies would definityl help to
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
My daughter constantly got strep - I'm no doctor but I can tell you our experience. The doctor threatened that if she got one more case of it then he'd take her tonsils out. ... BTW - my experience with this is over 30 yrs old.
My older daughter was near the last to have tonsils out as a matter or routine for frequent strep-never had it again. My younger daughter dealt with them for years, but no dr. would remove her tonsils. Finally, when she was 15, she had them removed and never had another strep throat. Also, when I was under 5, I had mine out and never had strep after that.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Get new toothbrushes. If you have pets...wash hands more frequently. DS got strep often and did research and found out dogs can be carriers. He quit kissing the dog on the top of her head and everything got better. Pharmasist toldl me about dogs being carriers. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 AM

I agree with those to talk to your dr and have mbrs of the family checked as possible carriers. That for sure can be a trigger to his catching it and his immune system low. Good luck with this medical issue. Hopefully it can be cleared up soon.

Sharon ... Hugs
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 AM

My son had strep all the time. By the time he was 16, he had his tonsils taken out and he hasn't been sick or had any problems. He is now 20 yeas old. That's him in my avatar.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Another possibility is the anitbiotics were not strong enough, they didn't completely kill off the strep and it keeps coming back. Doctors like to start off with a milder antibiotic, and they don't always do the trick :wink:

This happened to my DD and on round 4 I insisted on a stronger antibiotic and she was strep free after that :D:D:D
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 AM

My son had strep like that and his doctor asked if we had dogs. They can be carriers. Sure enough, I sent the puppy to Grandma's (we put it on antibiotics too) and after that, no more strep!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 AM

Just went through this with my daughter. Get his tonsils out NOW! DD had strep infection off and on for years and yet I couldn't get them to take her tonsils out. Well, finally she was so ill I took her to the ER and they discovered once again it was strep (the dr office tests were negative). So we finally got her tonsils out. She continued to get sicker and sicker. After a lot of Dr visits and ER visits and $$s spent we find out she has rheumatic fever. She will be on antibiotics for the rest of her life and she is in so much pain 3 months after her tonsillectomy. I'm hoping the pain will eventually go away. She is so sick she had to drop out of high school. Luckily it hasn't damaged her heart yet. We hope we caught it in time.

Please get his tonsils out. I think strep has become resistant to some of the antibiotics and this is causing a problem. The strep lives in the infected tonsils. DD even had tonsil stones!!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 PM

My daughter got kicked out of daycare because she was suspected of being a strep carrier. She didn't get sick but other kids did and she was the new kid on the block. 2 months later, it was discovered that my niece was the carrier and had drug resistant strep so the sitter kicked her out, too and tried to get me to come back (I was paying more than my sister) but you can guess what I told her!

My youngest son got strep throat 4 times in 1 year. The 4th & final time was in mid-August when it is supposedly almost impossible. We demanded his tonsils be removed and he missed 2 weeks of school but he hasn't had strep again and that was 9 years ago.