Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stuck in the 60's like me?? >

Stuck in the 60's like me??

Stuck in the 60's like me??

Old 09-25-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm in the process of building my own radio station consisting of the 60s music on Pandora. Love it. That era is where our sense of responbility was born. Not too many younger people have that now.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I would not want to go back to the 60's for anything! Three assassinations (J. Kennedy, M.L. King, R. Kennedy), Vietnam War (thousands of young men killed), Civil Rights Protests, etc. No way would I want to go back. However, our society did seem to accomplish some better policies: no draft and a bit more equality.
Forgive me...but all men, at the age of 18, are still required by law to register for Selective Service (draft) within 30 days of their 18th birthday. While our nation has NOT drafted any one since the 70's, all men are still required to register.

The penalties for failure to register can be a real hindrance to a man obtaining financial assistance for college, eligibility for Federal job training and federal jobs. Only those who can provide compelling evidence as a conscientious objector can have this requirement waived.

Having five sons, four of whom have now registered (and one who failed to follow through in a timely manner...you wouldn't believe the tenor of the letters we received!!), I just wanted to set the record straight on this important point.

Edited: Failure to register can result in a fine up to $250,000 and 5 yrs in jail. Failure to register is considered a felony
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM

I loved the 60's as well. The house is a charmer. I bet you are having a lot of fun visualizing the final result! It would be nice if you could also send the kids/ grandkids out to play with out worry but it's not to be in this day and age.
I'm looking forward to more pictures! It is a blast from the past but a nice one for you to share with us!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by didi
I would love to go back to that time...so much fun..Kids now days can't have the fun we had at that time..how sad..my GD loves for me to tell her about that age..I taught her to do the twist and we also did the limbo...well grandma tried to do the limbo..LOL
lol - if I tried to limbo now it would be more like the" lim"-bago! sharet
Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 AM

I'm pre WWII, so the 50's are more my time. Also, with a Navy husband, we spent 61 to 64 in Japan. Arrived back in the US a week after JFK's death. Back overseas to London in 66 to 69. I missed most of the 60's except for the American influence overseas. But your video still brought back good memories. And I was on the cutting edge of the British influence! They were happier and simpler times. You never locked your doors unless you were out of town. I don't remember locking my car either! Schools were quiet and kids were busy learning. Music was played at 40 decibels instead of 140! So many memories!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 AM

I also graduated in 1970. Some good times then. Yes, you could sing along with songs. Those were happy times.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 AM

I grew up in the fifties and sixties...miss the music and the moral values...sigh.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:32 AM

I am a child of the sixties. There were a lot of things in this film that brought back memories but the one that hit me in the face was the push-button Chrysler transmission. We had one of those cars and some wonderful times in it. We used to take it to the drive-in movies (another by-gone pastime). Thanks so much for this.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks, I loved the early sixty's and could have stayed there forever..
Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

OHhhhh man did those bring back some memories !! Many many good songs !