Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stuffed Toy Making Tips and How-tos?? >

Stuffed Toy Making Tips and How-tos??

Stuffed Toy Making Tips and How-tos??

Old 08-17-2018, 04:40 AM

Default Stuffed Toy Making Tips and How-tos??

I'm planning to make a stuffed toy hen for my daughter's upcoming 1st birthday. I have an ooolllddd pattern with only the bare essentials written down. I have some of the fake fur too. I have never made a stuffed toy before and presume is has a few different techniques to quilting, other than the pattern shows to use a 1/4" seam allowance. I'm wondering what stitch length to use? What thread weight should I use and what size needle? Is there a specific way to press the seams? And I should probably backstitch the beginning and end of every seam? Thanks for any tips! I really want to make her something she will love.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

When working with fake fur, I make sure the fur is combed away from the stitching line so when I stitch, the fur isn’t caught in the seam. Back stitching at the start and end is a good idea. If the weave of the fabric under the fur is dense, a regular stitch length is fine. If it is flimsy, decrease your stitch length. Child safe toy must have no removable pieces that could pose a choking hazard. Embroider the feature if your pattern calls for them.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:58 PM

don't be skimpy on the stuffing. I use a chopstick to get the stuffing into those tight places Make sure when you close up the hole you used to stuff that you sew it like there's no tomorrow! children seem to always get those stitches loosen up.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:46 AM
pal

Long fake fur is cut from the back, not from the front. Trace your pattern on the back and then gently cut out your pattern with a razor blade rather than with a scissor. Be very careful to cut only the backing, not the fur and then very gently pull your fabric apart. This way you will keep the long hair rather than end up with straight across "bangs".

Heavy fleece is a good alternative when making stuffed animals, rather than using the fur.

Last edited by pal; 08-18-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Everything about the sewing has been covered, I believe, but I'd like to suggest that you could possibly incorporate something from your little one's outgrown clothes in this project, or perhaps make it big enough to wear a favorite newborn outfit. One suggestion might be to add a tummy patch by cutting out a little embroidered motif from something your daughter wore, or if there are lots of little things, you could start by making a pieced fabric from parts of her little clothes and using that to make the animal. Use iron-on interfacing if anything seems too stretchy. There are several youtube videos demonstrating how to make stuffed toys. Your little girl will treasure it!
Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the tips!

A great idea, Rose_P!